1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need a sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Ash007, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have never had a Sub. None of my mates have one, and consequently i don't know if i need one/want one or not. Don't really want to splash out £500 to find out that they don't make much difference. BUT Would like to try one in my house with my setup to see if they r as good as there made out to be. Where is a good place to try before buy, ie could i buy from a website, then maybe send it back, no questions asked after a week or so later, depending if it made "the difference". Do u need a specic reason to send stuff back (ie damaged/faulty)? Is this an expensive way of testing ( I have no idea how much it would cost to send a monster subwoofer back by parcelforce).
    There is a reasonably local hifi shop, but is more expensive than online and think u can only test in the shop, which won't allow me to compare the "with sub - without sub -does it make much difference" that I want.
    Please advise.
    Any help appreciated.

Ash

2. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    What speakers do you have at the moment? And is it for movies or music or both?

3. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for the finishing touchs to a dedicated 5.1 system yes. i must point out you can still enjoy movies without a sub,but if you want plenty of bass you need a sub. i lived without one for a year, and once i got one, i was amazed at the difference. 199.99 will get you a velodyne vx10 which is rated highly on these forums.[it is the sub i use]

4. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Any half decent hifi shop will allow you to test a speaker package with / without sub.

Just be honest with them. Tell them what speakers you have. Get them to select the closest matching speakers they have in stock then pick a sub within your price range to compare.

Don't take the pish by getting them to lug 6 or seven subs around. Choose one yourself (the cheapest?) and get them to recommend one also.

It's normally frowned upon to abuse shops in this way by testing with them but then buying online but treat yourself to some cable upgrades while your there and call it quits. Just don't make a habit of it!!

Big A

5. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i found for expert advice there are forum members who no what they,re talking about. i based my sub purchase on the powerbuys threads, and was more than happy with the quite humble 199.99 i paid for my sub.