Do I need a sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Ash007, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I have floorstanding front speakers (B&W 603s), will a sub make much difference?

Also, similarly,
    If I did get a sub, had I may as well swop my floorstanders for bookshelf type speakers due to (I presume) the sub will do the job of the woofer part at the bottom half of my floorstanders, plus lower frequancies, making the woofer on my 603s virtually redundant, or is this not the case? I.e with a sub being used, would the overall sound be pretty much identicle if floorstanders or bookshelves were used (both setups with a sub)?

Any opinions appreciated .

Ash

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    There was a thread virtually identical to this about 2 months ago. You might want to do a search for it. Basically, some said yes, some said no, and most of us said that you really need to listen for yourself (preferably in your own home).

Cheers,
    Liam

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I used to have floorstanders that sounded marvellous without a sub but much, much better when I got one.

A good subwoofer ( not much point buying a cheap one to partner your speakers) will add sub bass at the sort of frequencies that you feel rather than hear.

I still use the arrival of T Rex in Jurassic Park to demonstrate the effect.

4. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    After now owning one I would definately say YES, it will bring presence, atmosphere, feeling and sometimes scare the crap out of you.Save if you have to but £500 new is a good starting point or cheaper 2nd hand or DIY.

Philmate.

5. bassman

bassman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I also have a pair of B&W 603's as a front pair in my HC set up along with a pair of 601 S2's for the rear and a newly acquired LCR6 Centre Speaker.

I used to use this set up without a sub but as luck would have it my local Superfi were doing a deal on the B&W ASW1000 sub for £430 which I spotted on their website so of I went to the store and as I had just bought a Rotel 1075 and a Yamaha DSP800 processor and the B&W LCR6 Centre from them they did me a deal at £400 for the sub.

My room measures approx 4m2 and after adding the sub it made a huge diference to the sound as it is now more dynamic and wide.

The speakers are set up as large for the front pair and small for the centre and rears and the LFE is output by the Both front and sub.

The sub isn't run in yet as it will take a bit of time but at £400 a think u will agree it is a bit of a steal.:)

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A sub is definetely recommended.

However swapping your floorstanders might not be a good idea though it depends on what scenario you use/prefer:

If the sub is only serving the LFE and fronts are set to LARGE then the fronts still have some bassy-work to do as the L&R channels also contain bass information.
    This might also suit people well which don't like a sub for music, i.e. in stereo mode all information is send to the fronts, the sub remains off (and hence works only for movies/5.1 soundtracks).

Then you could keep the fronts and set them to SMALL (perhaps your center and rears, too), thus all bass is send to the sub.
    Depending on the x-over setting (in the menu of the AV amp, if applicable only) there is still some bass going to the fronts - or not.

If you swap your fronts and the new speakers can't cope well you should set them to SMALL so the bass takes over the low-end job. If this however suits your taste for music is another question which you must answer for yourself.

Well, why do you actually consider replacing the fronts with bookshelf speakers if I may ask?

7. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ash, I added an M&K K-9 sub to my 5.0 system last year. I have Mission 75 floorstanders, 75C centre and Mission rears.

The Mission 75s have a pretty good frequency range, but are mid market speakers. I have set all speakers to small.

Adding the Sub has made a dramatic difference to Movies and also Music. Trex in JP1, Arnie in T2!

The sub goes way below the floor standers frequency range.

If you can borrow one from your local store and try it for a couple of days you will be ringing through with your credit card number. There is no going back.

Unless of course next door complain :)

Rog