do I need a sub-woofer?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by 2manyconsoles, Aug 21, 2002.

1. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have a set-up in my room (fairly small) - using Mission cinema one (5 speakers) and a sony amp (all a couple of years old) - in a relatively small set-up do you think it is necessary to have a sub - the sound I get now is very loud - I'm not sure if it would be excessive to get one but I know it will make DVD's all the better.

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,934
    I´d say a sub is an essential part of the system. Most floorstanders can´t go as low as a subwoofer so you´ll be missing out on a fair bit of low end bass. Depends what budget you have but there are some good subs available. Check out the Power Buys Forum and the Velodyne range of subs.:) Or alternatively, decent 2nd hand subs pop up from time to time in the Hardware/Classifieds Forum, Rels etc

3. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know Sony do one for about £120 - I really wouldn't need an over the top one - it's a fairly small room - I'm just thinking in terms of how much it would add to the whole DVD experience especially as the xbox supports 5.1.
    I was watching apocalypse now redux at my girlfriends place - the bit where the boat is going along with a drum beathing shook the house from the sub - sounded great and made me want one!

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,471
    Opinions vary, but there are very few GOOD subs for less than about £500 new.
    The £120 Sony will be, well, not very good shall we say.
    The issue is not size of your room but quality of the sound you want. Good subs extend down to 20Hz. What's the bottom quoted frequency of the Sony? You really need something which gets close to 20Hz.
    Bite the bullet and go for something decent. It will last you a lifetime. See it as an investment.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I agree with Spectre. the Sony should be called a mid woofer as that's what these things are. It will add nothing to your HC experience but a "proper" subwoofer will.

6. Dave N

Dave N
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can certainly recommend the Velodyne CHT-10 @ £325 from the Power Buys - just got one and am extremely pleased with it. Adds a lot of extra depth to movies and good with music too. Subs do seem expensive but dont forget you are buying a speaker AND an amplifier. Only downside is that everyone else will have to listen to it too :)

Dave