1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do i need a sub woofer??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by samjet, Jan 13, 2005.

1. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    have finally got my new set up sorted - i think - just would like the opinion of the wise ones as to whether a sub is needed/desirable with the following

fronts - acoustic energy ae509

centre - cyrus cls 50

rears - rogers db101

amp - yamaha dsp ax750se

dvd - harman kardon dvd22

tv - panasonic viera 37" plasma

your comments eagerly awaited :D

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Although your floorstanders will be able to provide some low frequency grunt, it won't have a patch on a (decent) dedicated sub, of course if your happy with your bass as it is then i guess you have no need to get a sub.
    Also it depends if it's film or music you use the most and what type. In otherwords if you feel the stuff you listen to is bass'ie then you may be wise to consider a sub.

The power argument:
    Yes, a sub will have a true 100watts or so devoted to the bass where as using your amp to produce the bass will be providing less power to those low frequencies.

I.e. an amp rarely makes it's claimed watts per channel and thats for all frequencies. It's know that bass frequencies require more energy to move the mass of air that is needed and as such a deticated sub will do the job right.

3. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    gaz

thanks for the reply

use is mainly dvd films and tv

yes the ae's do pick up a lot of the bass hence my question

perhaps i need to try a decent sub - anybody know a dealer in notts who would do me a loan item??

4. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    peace of mind at last - talked to a person who knows his 'stuff' - do not need one - the 509's will do the business

but more seriously now have to question if i need a centre :confused:

probably getting away from the av thing into true audiophile mode :D

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You are correct, you don't need a subwoofer. You also don't need a car, microwave or mobile phone either but life tends to be much nicer with them.

Why not have a wander down to your local hifi dealer and have a demo of a properly setup pair of floorstanders with a decent subwoofer and you may find that like the car that you probably have, you don't actually need a subwoofer but life is so much better with one than without.

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If your doing movies then a centre does help, the dialogue does indeed ntirely come from the centre channel with a good reciever.
    I would think if your looking into getting a centre then you might as well go the whole hog and get 5.0/.1 it can't hurt and the rears can provide ambient sound, for example in stargate/enterprise when in the base/ship there is a hum that is constantly going on that adds to the atmosphere.

For all the talk of surround panning ect.. it never really gets used in my experiece, but then again i might just be watchin gthe wrong material.

7. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ian

thanks for your observations as to what one wants/needs :D

i don,t see how going to hear a set up in a demo room is going to prove anything since they are unlikely to have ae509's as fronts - any results would only be relevant to the speaker set up heard in store

hence my request to fellow forum members enquiring if they know any retailer in notts who would lend me a sub for a home trial :confused:

regarding the centre - that will stay since i accept the point made by another poster ref the dialogue issue

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The Ditton 33's I have are big and produce excellent bass to low levels. I lived thinking "I didn't need a sub" for years, and I suppose it was right - I didn't "need" one. Everyone I spoke to said "you don't need a sub - they'll do the business".
    However, the XLS200 is going way way lower then the 33's and for that matter any pair of main speakers I've heard.
    So no, you don't need a sub. The question is, do you want to hear frequencies lower than you do now? If so, a sub is the way to go.
    ...PJ

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    In my experience, the centre is essential for films. However when listening to music whether CD or DVD I tend to use a DSP which takes out the centre and asks the main speakers to do most of the work...PJ

10. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    pj

thanks for your comments

the centre is here to stay but the jury is still out on the sub :D

i think that only a home trial with my system will answers any questions

as a slight aside the overall 'sound' and picture quality has been improved 100% today after a visit the see mark at the missing link - first class guy who tells it as it is and listens to daff questions by numpties like myself :rolleyes:

new cables at the right price - can say no more - thanks mark :smashin:

11. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I got a sub the other day, and i must say the difference is astonashing. Watched the matrix and the powerful slam is great, only a cheap is b&w asw 500 but it certainly does the job. Although i have to turn it down a way as otherwise its gets some major resenence!

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Sounds good. I'm intrigued to know what was changed to make such a dramatic difference...PJ

13. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    pj i will send pm otherwise i might get accused of promoting goods :D

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Promoting goods that you sell or are otherwise associated with would be considered as spam and the post would probably be deleted but recommending products that may benefit the forum community as a whole is what we are all about here so feel free to let us all know what it is that has made the dramatic difference.

15. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The AE509's have a decent bass response 31Hz – 22kHz but you really should try a good sub to see the difference it makes. There are few pricey floorstanders that genuinely go low enough to do the job of a sub (thinking big PMCs here) but even then a top quality sub (B&W ASW850, Velodyne DD15) would be worth adding.

Matt.

16. MGPowell

MGPowell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am currently using four AE509 speakers with an AE Centre connected to my Arcam 10 DAVE / 10P 3channel / 10P 3channel (used for biamping the fronts) using an Arcam DV79 and I can confirm that adding a good quality sub makes a big difference. I installed a REL STRATA 5 about 6 months ago and it is awesome....