Do I need a soundcard or some more software?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by BandWidthJunkie, Feb 9, 2009.

1. BandWidthJunkie

BandWidthJunkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I am new to HTPCs and audio from them, so be nice :D

I have built a HTPC with a ASUS P5W DH Deluxe motherboard as a base. This board has onboard Realtek audio based, I believe, on the ALC882 codec.

I have set the audio options of the motherboard to output Dolby 5.1 and connected the HTPC to my Denon via coxial.

My Denon is connected to a 7.1 set of speakers.

I have ripped numerous music DVDs to my Windows Home Server and I can play them within Windows Media Centre under Vista.

When I play any Dolby 2.0, Dolby 5.1 or DTS DVDs I get cracking sound from my denon :smashin:

My problem is with a couple of DVDs that only have PCM 2.0 sound on them. These DVDs will play within Windows Media Centre but I get no centre channel sound from my Denon.

The lack of centre channel makes these DVDs sound 'muddy' for want of a better word.

If I change the audio settings of the motherboard to output stereo, then I get a centre channel and again cracking sound from the Denon.

My questions are, do I need a soundcard or a piece of software to make DVDs with only PCM2.0 sound better without having to keep changing the audio settings?

Should I be looking for some sort of sound card or software that just passes the audio to the Denon to decode?

Or am I talking complete b*lls :confused:

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    You need a peice of software called AC3 filter, there are others that do the job. BUT, personally I would suggest connecting your sound card directly to your Denon with 3.5mm to stereo phonos (3 of for 5.1) as the issue you have is there is no AC3 going to your Denon, by default optical outs on a PC are stereo, with DVD's running in your DVD rom drive then AC3 bypass can be enabled which works great but not in your case.
    I also stream from a Windows Home server.

3. BandWidthJunkie

BandWidthJunkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    This is weird :confused:

Without installing any other software, I have come across a sort of solution!

If I start Windows Media Centre and start to play a DVD with only PCM2.0 I get no centre speaker output. However, if I simply minimize Windows Media Centre and then maximize it again (without touching anything else) the centre speaker kicks into life :confused::confused:

I have no idea why or how to get around this!

Anybody able to offer any explanation? :lease: