Do I need a sim in iPad

1984jacko

Standard Member
Reaction score
If I bought an iPad with wifi and 3G, do I have to buy a sim card to use 3G as it won't really leave the house that has wifi. Hope that makes sense
Thanks

Yes you need a sim for 3G , but if your not going to use the unit on the road then buying the 3G model is a complete waste of money.

Just get the significantly cheaper wifi model.

Be aware though that the GPS chip is not included in the wifi only model (although if it is not leaving the house you don't really need that anyway!)

HTH
M

If I got the wifi only model cud I jailbreak my iPhone 4 and use that to tether to the iPad for 3G? Thanks for the help so far

If I got the wifi only model cud I jailbreak my iPhone 4 and use that to tether to the iPad for 3G? Thanks for the help so far
If your phone contract allows tethering that dont need to jailbreak as you can use the personal hotspot feature on the phone.

I've got a wifi only iPad 3 and for the times i have no wifi i tether it over bluetooth to my 3GS to give it an internet signal and it works fine. Think its easier to do on the iPhone 4 as you can set up your phone as a wifi hotspot to give the iPad an internet connection.

If your phone contract doesn't allow tethering then you can jailbreak and install MyWi or one of the the other apps which allows you to tether to it.

As "surfymark" said above be aware that the 3G(4G) model is the only one with the GPS chip.

If your phone contract allows tethering that dont need to jailbreak as you can use the personal hotspot feature on the phone.

I've got a wifi only iPad 3 and for the times i have no wifi i tether it over bluetooth to my 3GS to give it an internet signal and it works fine. Think its easier to do on the iPhone 4 as you can set up your phone as a wifi hotspot to give the iPad an internet connection.

I've only felt the need to tether to my iPhone 2 or 3 times. If I want to use it when out and about I can usually find a wifi signal, or I use the phone to find whatever I need. It's certainly not worth an extra ÂŁ100 for the 3G version imho.

Another thing to note, if you tether from your iPhone to an iPad it'll also use the iPhones GPS.

Works a charm and saved me a buck or two :p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom