1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need a scaler?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kunjay, Jul 17, 2005.

1. kunjay

kunjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Guys,

I have a Philips 37PW9986 connected to a Hi-Grade DMS 3400 via a DVI cable.. the resolution is set to 1280 by 720p.. the TV uses 1:1 pixel mapping and so I get black borders around the screen about an inch wide. The max TV resolution is 1366 x 768.

No amount of tweaking with secondary software or changing screen resolutions helps fill the screen. (I have gone into this in some detail on another thread). Other people have managed to use a 1280 x 768 resolution, leaving only two black borders, but this has not worked for me.

If DVD watchers using DVI on their players can fill tthe screen 1366 x 768, is it a scaler I need to fullfil this purpose? If so, whch one is best suited at a moderate price.

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    you will get a better picutre leaving it as it is, but if you are desperate for full screen you could get a scaler, or use a home theater pc to play dvds and that can scale to the native res of the screen.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Kunjay

What Resolutions does the Philips LCD support on its DVI Input?

There's more to a DVI signal than just the number of pixels and refresh rate - there are lots of timings that can also be adjusted; you may need more info on the supported signals before you can go to work on adjusting the signal your Outputting from your PC.

Why is your Graphics card Outputting 1280x720 - cant it Output 1366x768?

Best regards

Joe