Do I need a replacement for my VM Hub 3?

Tony Norton

Hi All,

I recently agreed to upgrade my Virgin package from M100 to M200. I didn't fancy an increased cost for the same package as I was already on, so I managed to work an 18 month deal on the upgrade.

After spending weeks blaming Virgin for the fact that I still only get 100 Mbps download speed, although the upload speed has increased from 10 Mbps to 20 Mbps, I finally managed to get a Virgin engineer to come and check out my connection. He diagnosed a dodgy connection in the external splitter, apparently the old ones were oil filled internally and there is a tendency for the oil to leak out and cause signal leakage down to ground. He also found that my 20 year old cable from the internal box to the Hub 3 was faulty, so that was replaced. He also gave me a standard length Cat 6 Ethernet cable to replace the original Cat 5E. Final result - 200 Mbps in to the Hub.

But....

I still only get 100 Mbps out, both on the short Ethernet connection to my PC, and on the WiFi to my V6 TV box.

If it were only the PC coming up short I might have blamed my network card, but as it is both I am inclined to say it's down to the Hub.

Is there a software setting that needs changing? If so I would be most grateful for any advice that can be offered. I know how to access the Hub, but I am not familiar with the menus presented. Maybe I should press Virgin to supply a new Hub 4, or even a Super Hub. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for any advice proffered, and Happy Christmas to all,

Tony Norton.

luke80

Definitely worth checking the router settings. It should be gigabit ethernet capable.

I have a SuperHub 3 and get over 300MBps (on the 350/30 package).

Tony Norton

Hi Luke,

forgive my ignorance, but what should the Hub 3 settings be, and, after having got into Hub 3, how do I get to them?

According to the info I have the VM Hubs, in ascending order, are: - Hub 3, Hub 4, Super Hub 1, Super Hub 2 and Super Hub 2ac. Which do you have?

Also is a Gigabit Ethernet cable Cat 7 or Cat 8?

Happy Christmas to you and yours, and many thanks for responding at what must be an inconvenient time of year.

All the best
Tony

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Type 192.168.0.1 into a web browser and log in using the admin login credentials for the router. Default user name is Admin or admin (I forget which). If you have setup a password here previously, use that.
Once logged in you can see various settings and diagnostics. Ordinary domestic (Cat-5) network cables will run Gigabit ethernet so you shouldn't need to buy new cables or patch leads..

luke80

Hi Luke,

forgive my ignorance, but what should the Hub 3 settings be, and, after having got into Hub 3, how do I get to them?

According to the info I have the VM Hubs, in ascending order, are: - Hub 3, Hub 4, Super Hub 1, Super Hub 2 and Super Hub 2ac. Which do you have?

Also is a Gigabit Ethernet cable Cat 7 or Cat 8?

Happy Christmas to you and yours, and many thanks for responding at what must be an inconvenient time of year.

All the best
Tony
I have the Super Hub 3 but the process is the same for all I think - 192.168.0.1 via your web browser.

Cat 5e, 6, 6A, 7, 8 are all gigabit ready.

Same to you.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member

Where did you get your info from as I don't think you are right?

They only supply Super Hubs, does yours look something like this?

1609201075510.png

If so then it is a Super Hub 3 and definitely has 4 gigabit ports on it.

The correct order afaik is and unfortunately some people just call them Hubs rather than Super Hubs

Super Hub 1, 2, 2AC, 3 and then 4. I have had one of each over the years and have had their service since it came out at 512Kbps, can't remember what the router was then :)

1 and 2 here

1609201220364.png

2AC
1609201238338.png

1609201309239.png

and 4

1609201273249.png

For WiFi ensure that you are using the 5GHz network and check the Channel Width and then set to 80MHz to maximise the bandwidth. This setting can make the difference that you are seeing.

Default admin password is on the label on the device, it is not admin\admin.

1609201353407.png

As for why wired, what is your PC, how old is it? It could possibly have a 100Mbit card which would limit your speed.

If you right click on the network icon on Windows 10 next to the clock and then on open network and Internet Settings. Then click on properties below the Ethernet connection you should get a screen showing Link Speed

1609201690458.png

The top properties show that my network card is connected at 1 gigabit. If it shows 100/100 here that will be the limiting factor and you will need to investigate further.

Finally what are you using to do the speed test and how was the 200Mb confirmed to the hub?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom