Do I need a receiver?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by amraam, Apr 20, 2005.

1. amraam

amraam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I am new to to home cinema systems etc. I have just bought an Eltax 5.1 1200watt surround sound system. I think it has amps buit in but the only input connection to it is 6x RCA jacks. I have a cheap DVD player that only has 2x RCA output jacks, so I am looking to buy a new player that has the 5.1 DTS and dolby digital decoders and the 6x RCA output. If I buy say THIS player (I have been told it has the decoders and RCA output jacks), can I just hook it directly to my sound system or do I need a receiver? I should also add that I am only 18 and income is low, so I hav a very low budget (only really want to spend a max of £50 (I can get more expensive things for a lower price on ebay/ebuyer)).

Thanks very much and I look forward to a reply! :smashin: :)

Regards,
    Harry Marshall

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Certainly, if your sound system has line-level inputs then you could directly connect that player I would think.

One caution though, the specs say 'Dolby Digital, DTS', but the brief review only mentions "Dobly Digital decoding" .. you'd better ensure it does decode DTS rather than just working in digital pass-through mode via the digital output.

3. amraam

amraam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there thanks,
    How would I find that out?

4. amraam

amraam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: