Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Do I need a Radeon instead of my Geforce???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MikeTV, Jul 24, 2003.

1. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    I know the Radeons are the card of choice, but I am wondering what kind of gains I can really expect if I were to replace my Geforce2GTS with a Radeon?

Currently my HCPC is connected via VGA/RGBHV to a US RPTV, which is HDTV capable (1080i/540p).

These are my priorities: It must be AGP. I would quite like a dual VGA capability (because I have a spare VGA monitor). The main use of the HCPC would be for TV and DVD viewing, and also as a media jukebox. I would quite like to try interlaced resolutions - but I am not sure if the ATI drivers support this (or how many hoops I may have to jump through to get it working). Passively cooled would be good, and I am not concerned about gaming capabilities. I want flexibility with respect to custom resolutions, so that I can eliminate overscan, and generally optimise/tweak it for my display.

So should I just stick with the geforce? It is fine for progressive resolutions, but it doesn't support dual displays, or an interlaced overlay. How much better will the radeon picture/playback quality be - if at all?

I am thinking the 7500 might be in the right price bracket, and suit my needs.

Cheers,

Mike.