Do I need a Qnap NAS to use with a Squeezebox?

dazzler9000

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a Squeezebox. My question is do I need to buy one of the overpriced Qnap NAS devices to use it with?

As you can gather from my post I don't want to have my PC running all the time.

I have seen other NAS device for a third of the price for the same storage space, but I assume the QNAS device has built in software *slimserver* Can this not be installed on a normal hard drive?

Cheers

the qnap isn't overpriced, it's one of, if not the best in class. You get what you pay for in many respects, the qnap is quiet (it's fanless) and has a transfer speed much higher than other cheaper devices, it's also got a gig port for even faster transfers, you can leave it on downloading torrents and it has all sorts of integrated backup features.

You don't need that specific NAS though, visit the slimdevices forums and website and you'll find information about compatible devices, but the qnap is a recommended device and consequently can often be bought with the slimserver pre-installed.

Slinkoff said:
You don't need that specific NAS though, visit the slimdevices forums and website and you'll find information about compatible devices, but the qnap is a recommended device and consequently can often be bought with the slimserver pre-installed.

The QNAP will only work if slimserver IS pre-installed, it isn't yet possible to install it yourself

Thanks for the replies... Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone, they do look very cool and have good features, it's just that at a glance they seem expensive if you want to get a 300 GB model.

I will check out the forums for more info.

I thought this drive looked a bargain for the price (although I'm not overly keen on Maxtor drives)

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Name=nas - it's the 300GB model near the bottom. I wonder whether this device would work with the squeezebox? It's not on the compatibility list!

Slinkoff said:
the qnap isn't overpriced, it's one of, if not the best in class.
The TS-101 isn't just a NAS drive, not so much best in class, more a different class of device completely. You're paying for the web server support, the ability to programme it in PHP+SqlLite, the other server functions and that gigabit port.

When I was researching NAS boxes I read a lot of horror stories about some of the other (cheaper) devices, a combination of bugs and design errors. Part of that 'overpricing' probably paid for the QNap being rock solid and just working well.

If you only need Slimserver and aren't worried about the restricted speed of 100mbit NAS access its overpriced for *your* requirements. Just remember to check user opinions and I'd avoid buying anything not listed as Slimserver compatible, from memory the Buffalo Linkstation has a pretty good rep.

Just had a look at the linkbuilder.... Looks good but the slimserver software install looks a nightmare!!!! Might just go for a Qnap :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom