Question Do I need a pre-amp?

lazzareo

Standard Member
I've just purchased a Denon DM40 and Reloop RP1000M Turntable. I've connected it all up but need the sound volume on full to get a reasonable sound but it's not great. I've been reading up and think I may need a pre-amp.

Could you advise what a pre-amp is and whether I need one and if so any recommendations?

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
You need one. This can be built into either of the turntable or amplifier or an external one sitting in-between. This will either be a moving magnet (MM) or Moving Coil (MC) so you need to which one your TT has.

Your dm40 or TT do not have a phono stage built in so will need one like the following..

PROJECT PHONO BOX MM MM Phono Pre Amp
CAMBRIDGE AUDIO CP1Black MM Phono Pre Amp

The above phono stages are MM but there are some available that can switch between MM/MC which are more expensive

Here's a link to explain what it is and why you need one

Phono Stages

Last edited:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Checking the Reloop Website, there is no indication that the Reloop RP-1000M has a buit-in Phono Pre-amp, so yes, you will need an amp with at PHONO input or a external Phono Pre-Amp like those that have been suggested.

Reloop RP-1000M

The Moving Magnet (MM) phono cartridge needs about 100x amplification to bring it up to Line Level, and to make the grooves fit on a record, they cut the bass and boost the highs. Then on playback, the opposite occurs, highs are cut and bass is boosted, bringing everything back to normal.

That's what Phono Pre-Amps do, they provide that 100x Amplification and provide the RIAA Equalization curve to bring the response back to normal.

RIAA equalization - Wikipedia

A very basic straight forward Phono Pre-Amp would not cost that much, consider this common Pre-Amp -

Project Phono Box MM Turntable Pre-Amplifier - Superfi

Though if money is tight, something like the suggested Behringer would be fine -

Behringer PP400 Microphono Ultra Compact Phono Preamp assorted colour: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom