1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need a PAL progressive DVD?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HappyLad, Oct 27, 2003.

1. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks.

I'm currently using a Toshiba SD220 playing into a Tosh 32ZD26 telly via S-Vid and a Panasonic AE300 projector via the component connection.

My Marantz CD player recently died and instead of replacing with a new CD player I would like to integrate CD and DVD duties into 1 box (the SD220 sounds rubbish with CD's!). So if I'm going to replace the DVD player then I thought I should get a prog scan machine for better pic quality with the projector.

I have been recommended the Pioneer DV565 (anyone any comments on sound quality when playing CD's?). But when I have looked at the specs I have noticed that it is NTSC progressive only.

Is lack of PAL progressive a problem?
    If I am watching region 2 discs will the player output an NTSC progressive signal? Is this a problem?
    What other players should I consider for sound / picture quality? (don't want to spend more than £500)

TIA

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I guess that is something you need to decide.

Most likely not. It will output a non-progressive "PAL" signal.

Yep - if you have many r2 titles it is.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    Some NTSC Progressive players will convert the PAL signal to NTSC and output it Progressively, unfortunately they generally don't do it that well.

Have you considered the new Toshiba SD530? It has both PAL and NTSC Progressive and is available for around 200 quid.

4. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I've decided to forget about using a DVD player for CD replay and I'm going to get myself a decent CD player next (using Cyrus amps + B&W speakers for stereo duties).

Still, the upgrade bug has bitten with regards to the DVD player also, though after doing a bit more reading I think PAL progressive would be a good idea and so the Pioneer 565 is out of the running:(

I can't seem to find any UK suppliers of the Toshiba SD530.
    Can anyone point me the right direction to some reviews and dealers?

cheers

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi,

Try www.leconcepts.com for the Tosh 530. Not seen any reviews yet of this player.

Steve