Do I need a new scart lead

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by bomber1970, Jan 15, 2008.

1. bomber1970

bomber1970
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help, I just bought a new LG LCD when connected to my sky + box picture is rubbish.
    When I changed settings from RGB to PAL picture is now better. Do I need a new scart lead which is RGB compatable and how do I know if my new tv scarts are OK for rgb

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Look for a fully wired SCART, most are. Thor, Vivanco, Ixos, Philex all good budget choices. I would have a look at your TV's settings as most out of the box pictures are pretty shoddy on LCD and no matter what you try, Standard Def isn't that good on LCD's period IMHO. Some sky channels are noticably worse than others. If you can get hold of a calibration disc like Digital Video Essentials (available from the usual DVD retailers online) or use the calibration feature on Disney Pixar discs or THX discs like Terminator 2. That might improve things. Also make sure the SCART input on the TV can accept a RGB signal as not all of them can. You will need to check the manual.

3. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    I'd start by reading the manual as it sounds like you don't even know if you've got the TV SCART set to RGB anyway?

If you want someone else to read the manual for you then post the exact model number so we can look it up.

4. bomber1970

bomber1970
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys thanks for the quick reply,

Mark you are spot on. I have no idea what my tv has very new to all this.

My TV is LG LC55 42 " i`m not sure if it supports RGB by scart by hey what do I know, really appriaciate if you can confirm

5. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I would give the manual a read, as finding online manuals for LG is nigh impossible. Well, I've never managed to find any....

6. bomber1970

bomber1970
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it actuals comes in a disc in the box.

Would a new tv these days still not have a rgb scart connection? thought it would be standard

7. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    The LG website has them all, not that most are worth reading mind you so you've not missed much :)

I downloaded the one for this TV and it offers no clear spec for the SCARTs at all but equally it doesn't shown any configuration for them either so it may be that they are not RGB :(

The only other thing I've come across is a few references elsewhere to it only having 1 'full' SCART and one 'half' SCART so you might want to try the other SCART socket and see if it is any better.

I'm afraid people are often slow to recommend LG devices and this lack of clarity and decent manuals is one of the reasons, aside from general concerns about things like picture quality.

8. bomber1970

bomber1970
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark, only had TV a couple of days so could take back.

Would the RGB scart on TV make a big difference to viewing. have to say picture is OK but not as sharp as i would have expected

9. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    RGB vs composite will make a considerable difference if it works, but there is no guarantee that you are going to like the resulting picture any more than you do now.

As Davepuma has said, it can take a lot of work to extract a decent image from LCD and SD material may never look all that great.

I'm biased though as I really don't like LCD screens at this sort of size and prefer plasma.

10. Hammo67

Hammo67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if I'm a bit late on this one, but only joined the forum tonight! Hopefully you have already got this sorted.

Generally speaking, most tv's have at least one RGB compatible scart socket and usually its AV1 or EXT1, so make sure your lead is connected to this one. On your Sky+ box make sure it is set to RGB and scart control is on. This should enable auto-switching, so when Sky is turned on your tv should automatically pick up the RGB signal.

I must say I do agree with Mark, the majority of LCD and Plasma tv's struggle to produce a good clean SD image, that's why I'm still in the old school - Toshiba widescreen CRT!!!!

Good luck

11. bomber1970

bomber1970
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all you guys for your help.

I did buy another scart lead only £30 so didnt break the bank.

Plugged it into AVI and now the TV picks up the RGB signals from the SKY box.

Picture is much better, but I have to say watching sport is still not perfect but OK. Kids watch their disney channel and colours and picture is fantastic.

TV will be staying, before I purchased though I wish I knew of sites like this to research LCD`s rather than just odd reviews on the net. I`m sure there is better out there than what I got LG 42 LC55 (£598)

Thanks Bomber

12. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    To improve things further, if you have a Disney pixar disc like 'Cars' run the calibration setup. As I have said in other posts, you can get a calibration disc like Digital Video Essentials. You should be able to make some tweaks to improve the picture some more. Good luck! :thumbsup: