1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need a new DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by melliott1963, Feb 28, 2005.

1. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've currently got a Sony DVP NS300 DVD Player which I've had a few years now.

I've recently started making my own DVDs using Sony's DVD Architect. The last one I produced works fine when I play it on my PC using Power DVD, however, when I played it on my Sony, a couple of strange things happened.

Firstly, on the menus, the currently selected item is highlighted using a text mask overlay. When viewing on my PC, this works as it should by adding a coloured 'shadow' to the selected text. However, on my Sony, when you select an item, the highlighting, rather than being a 'shadow', is the same text but in a different font size which is spaced totally different from the text being highlighted so you actually see the text twice, in different colours and spacing (it's hard to explain but I hope you get the idea).

The second thing that happened is that, partway through the movie, the sound cut out completely. I just selected the option to restart the current chapter, and after this, the sound was fine for the rest of the movie.

As the DVD plays fine on my PC, am I right in assuming that my DVD player is "on it's way out"? What I don't want to do is buy another DVD player and find I have the same problems.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hard to say, maybe the player's a bit old but it's hard to imagine that there's a fault that only your home-made DVDs show up. Is there no chance of trying one on a different player, maybe a friend could try it for you?

3. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'll see if it works on my brother's player. However, as he's got the same model as me, if it doesn't work, I won't really know if it's a quirk with the model or the DVD.

I'll also try some other DVD players on my PC and see if they do the same or work properly.