Do I need a new AV receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Phry, May 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Phry

Phry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

I currently have a Denon AVR-X2000 AV unit and recently bought a new TV (Sony 65EX9005). The only thing I connect to my AV receiver is my PC which uses an Nvidia GTX980. I do not use any of the TV's in build apps or tuner etc, just my PC connection.

I have now realised that my current Denon being only HDMI 1.4 means I cannot get 1080 at 120fps or 4k at 60fps.

Do I need to buy a new receiver just for HDMI 2.0 or is there some way for me to spilt the video/audio without loss of quality?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #6 by Rambles, May 25, 2018 (1 points)
  3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,136
    You can potentially split the HDMI output from the PC so that only the audio is conveyed to the AV receiver while the video is conveyed to a capable display. You'd however need something like the HDFury AVR Key to do this which isn't cheap:

AVR KEY

4. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,608
    You wouldn't need the HDFury Key as I am pretty sure your GTX980 has at least two outputs. So you can use one straight to the TV for UHD video, and one straight to the AVR for audio (including HD).

Essentially, just don't put the video through the AVR.

5. Phry

Phry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the reply. Could I not just use a passive DP to HDMI cable and run audio via that to my AV receiver and straight HDMI to the TV?

6. Phry

Phry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah it has 3 x DP outputs and 1 x HDMI. Your answer is exactly what I was thinking but I am not sure if this would work.

I am also struggling to find a DP to HDMI cable that is HDMI 2.0 compliant. Although I don't know that would matter as all I want it to carry is full audio anyway?

7. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,608
    Best Answer
    Perfect, so you can try any combination of outputs as they all carry both audio and video. I don't think HDMI 2.0 compliancy will be required for the audio only connection.

It does work, but looks a bit confusing when you set it up, as Nvidia has to set up a 'dummy' second monitor in order to enable audio. But just ignore that, and configure the audio as normal. The TV will then be your primary monitor.

8. Phry

Phry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Many thanks. I have ordered a DP to HDMI cable which is HDMI v1.3b and will give that a go. Saves me buying a new AV receiver for extra features I do not want or need.

9. Phry

Phry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well it does not appear to work. Got the DP to HDMI cable but it is not recognised as a second display. I have no audio.

10. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,608
    That's not good. Does it work at all? If you use the DP to HDMI cable direct to the TV, do you get video?

Within the Nvidia drivers, you do have to switch on audio for each device separately. Under 'display' there is a 'Set Up Digital Audio' option, if you look on that page it will have all of your outputs listed and the option to enable or disable audio for each device connected to each output.

You might have to enable the device first in the 'Set up multiple displays' option.

Of course, none of this will help if the DP to HDMI adapter / cable that you bought just doesn't work. In which case, maybe return it?

I have this on one of my machines, and although I don't currently use it, I have in the past and it has been fine for passing both audio and video to my TV or AVR:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0055PKO3I/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

11. Phry

Phry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If I connect the new DP to HDMI cable directly to the TV I do get video (and audio through the tv speakers)

I checked the Nvidia settings it does not recognise another display or audio source.

12. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,608
    Try also having an HDMI cable connecting the AVR output to an input on the TV. Might be a handshake issue.

13. Phry

Phry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah I tried connecting the av unit to the TV too but still doesn't recognise any other display or audio source. The second cable just does nothing .

14. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,608
    There is sometimes a handshake issue if you don't power things on in a particular order. So with a DP to HDMI cable to the AVR and with an HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV, reboot the PC, turn the TV and the AVR on and off again. And see if anything springs to life.

You should see something, at some point on this screen, make sure everything is enabled:

Capture.JPG

Then go to this screen and turn the audio on for everything:

Capture.JPG

15. Phry

Phry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Tried all of those suggestions but still no luck. The Nvidia settings do not show any second display no matter what I try.

The cable itself does work, as I can get video and audio when connected directly to the TV, but when plugged into the AVR Nvidia just doesn't recognise it as a display, and does not send any audio it appears.

16. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,608
    That sounds very odd. If you just have DP from graphics card to HDMI in on AVR and then HDMI out of AVR into HDMI in of TV. Nothing else connected. Does it work okay as the primary and only display?

17. Phry

Phry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah, it will work connected straight to TV or via AVR. It is when I try to use twin outputs from the GTX980, 1 to each, that it doesn't see the AVR. Tried all ports.

18. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,608
    Do you need to enable it (tick) in the Nvidia drivers setting up multiple displays screen?

19. Phry

Phry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There is no option to tick. There is only one display showing (my tv) which is already ticked.

20. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,608
    Okay. So..

If you start off with one cable going from the DP out of the graphics card, into an HDMI into the AVR, then another cable from the HDMI out of the AVR into an HDMI in on the TV. It works okay and you get audio to the AVR and video to the TV?

If you then connect a second HDMI cable from an output on the graphics card to a different input on the TV, and you switch the TV to that input. What happens? What do you see here:

Capture.JPG

21. Phry

Phry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OK, I am beginning to suspect the cable that I bought.

If I use the new DP to HDMI cable from PC to AVR, then an HDMI from AVR to TV, I get nothing. No video no sound.

If I use that new cable direct to TV, plus HDMI from PC to TV, I get a second display option on that screen you posted. I get the option to set up extended display. It seems the new cable does not like the AVR for some reason. It works fine if connected to the TV however.

I may try buying a different cable.

This one states 2.0 compliant.

Or is there an adapter I'd be better with?

Many thanks again for all your help so far.

22. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,608
    Making progress :smashin:

I don't have a 4K TV so cannot test it in exactly the same config as you.

Can you not use it as it is, that is DP to TV for video, and HDMI to AVR for audio?

23. Phry

Phry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not with the current cable I bought because it is only HDMI 1.3b so no good for 4k 60fps video. I thought I would only need it for audio so it wouldn't matter.

I have ordered that cable I linked to which states HDMI 2.0b compliant so then it should not matter which way round I set it up, hopefully!

24. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,608
    Fingers crossed :smashin:

25. Phry

Phry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well the new cable finally arrived, and technically it did work. So, I got a second display showing, extended the display and then had 4k 60fps, and DTS sound etc. Hooray! I thought.

Slight niggle of course being the cursor moves off screen into the non-existing one. Not a big deal.

However when I went to load up Battlefield, which automatically switches to 1080p, it was wonky. Only half of the display was on screen. Looked like it was splitting the display over the "two" screens.

26. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,608
    Okay. Progress at least.

In Battlefield there should be an option to choose which display the game is output on to. So choose the one you want and the resolution that matches that display, the game should then be scaled to fit neatly on the correct display.

27. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,484
    Set your display to clone/duplicate and not extend.

Even though you can get HD audio and 60hz 4K you won’t be able to get HDR for movies. I tried the same thing on my setup and ended up upgrading the receiver as I didn’t want to miss out on HDR and HD audio for movies.

28. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,608
    If you clone / duplicate, will that not be putting twice as much stress on the GPU?

And, I am curious now, I haven't got a 4K / HDR display, so have no first hand experience, but it seems illogical that if you go straight from the PC to the TV you don't have HDR, but if you go through an AVR you do? How does the AVR add HDR in?

29. Phry

Phry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I do have HDR and HD audio. I have tried several sources and my AVR shows DTS etc depending on the movie. Battlefield also shows the HDR option as available.

I got Battlefield working. There is an option to select which display as you said, however it only gave me one option of "generic display" or something similar.

However, if I change from fullscreen to windowless it shows up fine, fills the screen as it should.

The only slight niggle here is I then cannot pick the resolution, it just greys that out and defaults to whatever your TV is set to. This means I cannot play 1080 at 120 fps as I had hoped, but am, instead playing 4k at 60fps.

First world problem I know.

So other than that niggle and the cursor moving off the right of the screen it does indeed appear to have worked. 4k 60 fps, full HD audio and HDR for a £20 cable rather than a £300+ AVR :thumbsup:

30. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,484

It shouldn’t add any real extra stress as all it’s doing is mirroring the output, it’s just the same image repeated on another output.

With my previous setup as soon as my receiver was detected in the chain it just stopped HDR totally, although my receiver was an older model than the OPs so it may be different for them. If I used an optical connection and removed hdmi from the audio equation I would get HDR, as soon as my receiver was added into the mix with a hdmi connection for audio it would fail, probably due to the lack of HDCP 2.2.

Looking at the OPs receiver it’s HDCP 2.2 capable which is probably why he is seeing HDR. I have a friend with a 2 year old Yamaha receiver HDCP 2.2 capable and a similar dual hdmi setup and they are fine with HDR.

31. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,608
    Interesting. I always thought that whilst gaming it was better to turn off all other displays connected to the GPU to give the GPU more 'headroom'. I don't know why I thought that, I must have read it somewhere.

I wonder if it would be the same if using the DVI or displayport connection to the AVR for audio, and having it as an extended desktop rather than a clone? That way the HDMI HDCP 2.2 connection from PC to TV would be intact.

I don't know the answer to any of this, I don't have a 4K display yet, so I'm just thinking aloud.