Do I need a new amp?

andybailey1972

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all
I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR626 which is being fed audio from sky q via optical lead. The sky tv picture (ultra hd) is direct from sky q box to tv via hdmi.
I have just been given a second hand PlayStation 4 pro and was wondering how it should all be connected. There is currently no way to get another hdmi lead to the tv as it is fixed to the wall with the wires channeled into the wall.
Do I need to get a hdmi splitter which the sky and PS4 will feed into with hdmi going from that to the tv? And then do I need an optical splitter to take the feeds from the sky and PS4 to then go to the amp?
Is there a better way of doing this? Do I need to get a new amp (with 4K pass through)?
Any advice is gratefully received.
Andy

Morning all
I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR626 which is being fed audio from sky q via optical lead. The sky tv picture (ultra hd) is direct from sky q box to tv via hdmi.
I have just been given a second hand PlayStation 4 pro and was wondering how it should all be connected. There is currently no way to get another hdmi lead to the tv as it is fixed to the wall with the wires channeled into the wall.
Do I need to get a hdmi splitter which the sky and PS4 will feed into with hdmi going from that to the tv? And then do I need an optical splitter to take the feeds from the sky and PS4 to then go to the amp?
Is there a better way of doing this? Do I need to get a new amp (with 4K pass through)?
Any advice is gratefully received.
Andy

Yes there is. Plug your sources into the Onkyo HDMI inputs and a HDMI lead from the Onkyo video out to the TV. The Onkyo will deal with the sound and send the picture to the TV.

On second thoughts, just noticed your Onkyo does not support 4K, so you would need a HDMI splitter and if your TV has optical out then connect that to the Onkyo

Last edited:
Yes there is. Plug your sources into the Onkyo HDMI inputs and a HDMI lead from the Onkyo video out to the TV. The Onkyo will deal with the sound and send the picture to the TV.
Thanks for the reply but am I not right in thinking that the Onkyo can’t deal with uhd? That is why it is currently set up with the sound via optical and picture via hdmi straight from sky q to the tv

On second thoughts, just noticed your Onkyo does not support 4K, so you would need a HDMI splitter and if your TV has optical out then connect that to the Onkyo
Ah, I think that the tv has an optical out so if that’s the case I’ll run an optical lead from tv to amp and get a hdmi splitter, anyone know of one that’ll switch automatically or can be controlled via harmony ultimate?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom