Do I need a new amp?

camperdave

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

After recently acquiring the qe65q90t I have had to connect the tv straight to my 2tb sky Q box to access UHD (previously into amp then back out into sky box) which now means I bypass my Onkyo amp (TX-NR 717) and 5.1 monitor audio speakers.
My question is, do I need to upgrade my amp to use my av setup or is there a work around?

many thanks for your input.

you can use the optical output of your TV into your Onkyo amp

If the Onkyo cannot pass 4K and HDR then the only option is for you to connect the SkyQ box direct to the TV. For audio there is an optical out from Sky that can be used direct into the amp for 5.1 SD audio. You could try and use HDMI ARC back from the TV to the Onkyo for audio or again use an optical cable.

If you use HDMI ARC then you can also use that connection to be able to use the set up on Onkyo which will display on the TV. There will only be one HDMI marked ARC (or eARC).

Your connections would be Onkyo>HDMI (ARC) on the TV.
SkyQ>HDMI on the TV.

I’m planning on a PS5 shortly for the UHD and use 2.1 facility.
Will this effect what you are suggesting?
sorry maybe I should if mentioned this previously!
How would I benefit from a modern amp? Current one is 8 years old.

You would have to connect the PS5 direct to the TV and use optical back to the receiver. You would benefit from a new receiver with HDMI 2.1 to be able to pass through the content of the PS5. This would give you HD audio and HDR. Same goes for the SkyQ box which also is beginning to roll out HDR (five years behind everyone else but who's counting).

Basically it just makes life easier.

Brill, thank you for all your feedback and guidance.
where would you put your money if you had £6-800 av amp wise? I appreciate there may be choices.
I have a 5.1 Monitor Audio HD setup with upgraded center, I will only use it for filming and PS5.

Bad time of the year to buy a new AV amp because the prices are still high with the new models in the dealers. Prices should start dropping in the spring, Covid and Brexit permitting. The amps I would recommend would be the Denon AVR-X2700 and AVC-X3700.

Denon AVR-X2700H (Black) | Dolby Atmos AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

Denon AVC-X3700H (Black) | Dolby Atmos AV Receiver | Richer Sounds
Ok so I’ve now managed to get hold of the x2700h, I’m sure I’ll be happy with this As I’ve had Denon previously and love the sound characteristics etc.
my question is, is it worth installing a pair of extra wides for the front? Will they see much use with film content at the min?
I have the Monitor Audio Radius HD 5.1 with the 250 center.
The room is rectangular around 5mt x 3.8mt with the tv on the 3.8mt wall.
If so would I use another set of bookshelf speakers - maybe same as current MA?

Ok so I’ve now managed to get hold of the x2700h, I’m sure I’ll be happy with this As I’ve had Denon previously and love the sound characteristics etc.
my question is, is it worth installing a pair of extra wides for the front? Will they see much use with film content at the min?
I have the Monitor Audio Radius HD 5.1 with the 250 center.
The room is rectangular around 5mt x 3.8mt with the tv on the 3.8mt wall.
If so would I use another set of bookshelf speakers - maybe same as current MA?
The X2700 cannot to wides, you have to reach to the very top of the Denon ladder for that experience. You will be limited to a base 7.1 of 3 front, 2 surround and 2 rear surrounds or an Atmos configuration of 5.1.2.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom