Do I need a headphone amp?

jamescycling

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have bought Sennheiser HD569 closed-backs. Really comfy with good passive isolation and that was my main reason for buying them.

I normally listen to music via the headphone socket on either of my two Hifi’s. A Denon MC- D78, and a Pioneer A X320.

So, should I bother with a headphone amp, or does my stereo amps provide enough juice? Would I just be wasting my money?

Also, I use with my smartphone, so would a DAC make a difference with these Sennheisers?

Any help appreciated.

they are very sensitive cans so i doubt they need much additional power to get them singing accordingly.

A Dac can always help but the differences are generally quite subtle.

something like a dragonfly red would provide decent power and has a good dac in it. would recommend something like that as you could also use it on the go

Agree 100%. You dont need headphone amps with most headphones.

idk. my akg 712 pros really did transform with proper amplification despite the fact it met good volumes without an amp.

just try with and without and return the amp if ur headphones don't benefit from it.

A DAC can give you a different "flavour" to your music and affect sound stage and instrument separation/clarity etc., but AMP should just deliver more power if your existing amplification is underpowered. A better AMP can give a lower noise floor if your getting background "hiss".

The IEM/headphone itself has a much greater impact on the quality of what you hear.

My revealing Noble K10U & Shure SE846's can resolve the differences in DAC's but not with my everyday low-end kit I moved on from (Klipsch X10 for example).

There is a noticeable improvement from my headphone amp over any headphone jack on my other bits of kit. I have a Lehmann Linear which makes my Oppo PM1s sing and they are only 32 ohm and highly sensitive.

There is a noticeable improvement from my headphone amp over any headphone jack on my other bits of kit. I have a Lehmann Linear which makes my Oppo PM1s sing and they are only 32 ohm and highly sensitive.

I forgot to add "Everyone's ears are different and some can hear what others can't" :D

I'm not a headphone man and do realise amplification is much more important for headphones than IEM's. My HD660S was improved with a dedicated DAC/AMP (not had just a pure AMP). I never liked the sig of the HD800's at all.

The Hugo2 DAC/AMP drove headphones beautifully but introduced too much noise floor with SE846's for example.

All very valid points ppl but may I suggest DAC and amp chains at price points more in keeping with the original post!

Sometimes people get curious and that is where online 14 days returns comes in :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom