Question do i need a headphone amp with DT990s Pros or is an avr good enough?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by kopmjj, May 8, 2016.

1. kopmjj

kopmjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    im thinking to buy a headphone for movies as i dont have room for speakers and i, selling them, so its either a soundbar or headphone, and i think headphone will work for me.

anyway i want to buy dt990 pro 250 ohm headphones and was thinking to use yamaha silent cinema, now does it matter which yamaha avr i use? for example will i notice any power difference between mid range and high end receiver? if yes than i may get an older high end yamaha avr from here.

but im not sure if it will be able to power the 250 ohms headphone? can someone help me out, i dont want to buy a headphone amp as last time i listened to silent cinema with 50 ohms headphone i really enjoyed it.

2. kopmjj

kopmjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Can someone please help me out thanks

3. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    250 ohms is not that high a load and I'd be surprised any modern amp or AVR couldn't easily drive them tbh.

Could you speak to Yamaha and see if they can confirm what the headphone output specs are?

HB

4. kopmjj

kopmjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I can but I'm thinking rather than spending £300 on Yamaha 679 I can buy a used older higher end Yamaha avr for about £150 but just want to know is there a difference between high end avr and midrange avr for headphone output? And just want to know if anyone drive there headphone that are 250 ohm via their avr?

5. Incrediboy

Incrediboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I've used a few receivers to power headphones from an older Denon (circa 2005) to a more recent Marantz SR7005. They were with headphones that were all less than 100ohms though and did a decent job.

I'm of the camp that a headphone out on a receiver won't be (and shouldn't be) as good as a headphone amp and by extension I don't think that there will be a big difference in the quality of headphone outputs between receivers. I think the biggest difference will be in if the receiver offers any processing such as Dolby Headphone etc.

As HeadBanger said, I think you'll be ok with it.

6. kopmjj

kopmjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Ok many thanks I didn't want to waste money on a receiver if it wasn't good enough, like I said I liked silent cinema but I only used 50 ohm headphones, and after reading reviews dt990 pro seems the best I can get for the money and it supposed to have decent bass. But it's 250 ohms.

7. Incrediboy

Incrediboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Have you bought the DT990 yet? I had them a while ago but returned them to due to the highs being too sharp. They had awesome bass though.

8. kopmjj

kopmjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    i havent bought them yet but im looking for something with deep bass and so far this headphone is recommended in many sites, any other yu can recommend?

9. Dartas

Dartas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Case you buy them, I'd say you should get a dedicated amp if you want to take the best of them, especially in the bass department (this is where I find more audible difference in playing with or without an amp. Amped, the bass is whey faster and tighter).
    250 ohm isn't that low.. and though any avr could drive them, I really doubt they would drive them well enough, and there is a big difference between just drive them and drive them well ;)

10. Forthright

Forthright
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In my experience, using a dedicated headphone amp is a major step up in sound quality. In terms of the effect on the sound I've always found it goes: headphones > amp > dac. For example, if I had a budget of £300 and unless the AVR offers some sort of processing such as Dolby Headphone (as Incrediboy said) and you are looking at stereo output then I would spend £100 on the AVR (to process the audio to 2 channel) and £200 on a dedicated headphone amplifier. If you can find an AVR with pre-out to bypass the volume control at your budget, all the better.