• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Do I need a headphone Amp for Fidelio X1

Nico72

I am completely new to headphones. I have just bought a set of second hand Fidelio X1 from the classifieds. The plan is to connect them to the headphone out of my SB classic.
Is the headphone amp in the SB classic decent or is it at smartphone level? Would I get a sizeable improvement if I spent another £100 in a dedicated headphone amp?
Thanks

Nico72

Logitech squeezebox classic. It's a music streamer

DIBSTER

Nico

Hopefully you've got your Fidelio X1's set up and playing tonight (glad they arrived OK!).

In answer to your question I never used them directly from my Squeezebox Touch. However I have an Aune X1 Dac/Headphone amp ( £120/£130 new - mine was £50 2nd hand) and I found that this quite budget piece of Chinese technology made the Philips shine, and I preferred them through the Aune rather than the headphone output from my Creek integrated.

In the past I've had various Beresford DAC/Headphone amps and I reckon the Aune is on a par, and especially at £50 a steal.

Nico72

Thanks Dave,
I am listening right now. The headphones are as new. Very light and comfortable too. They are a bit quiet from the SB but still enjoyable. I have no alternative at the moment as i sold most of thevkit in my signature and went to active speakers. I will look into a dedicated headphone amp as they deserve one. Thanks for the advice.
Nico

DIBSTER

You will definitely find an uplift in performance with a dedicated headphone amp. There is a lot of choice in those these days. The Aune X1 is just one example, there are lots of others about. A good 2nd hand Beresford will also do a great job, but I have no personal experience of any other amps for your consideration.

Nico72

I have realised I had set a -20 dB offset on the analogue outs of the squeezebox. I have removed that and now the sound pressure from the X1is adequate without the need for a dedicated headphone amp. I might still browse the classifieds for a better DAC/headphone amp in the future to improve sound quality, but no rush.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom