Do I need a Harmony ???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by advid, Jun 14, 2008.

1. advid

advid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I am now on my second Samsung (original) remote for my Samsung DVDR in less than a year. This too is now becoming unresponsive with some ‘sticky’ buttons and needs constant ‘double pressing’ or ‘finger nail-pressing’ in order to get it to operate correctly.
    Bearing in mind that my Sky HD remote and Toshiba TV remote work very well could anyone suggest a good remote to replace the Samsung....
    A Harmony or top quality remote would really be a bit of overkill as I don’t mind using three remotes.... but if that is the only device that would operate my Samsung then I am prepared to go down that route but is there anything slightly cheaper out there ?
    My recorder is a Samsung SH855 DVDR - 250g hard disk / DVD with USB front input and so has a lot of ‘extra’ functions that might not be available on a cheaper ‘All in One’ remote...

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    You can have all the functions you want on any Harmony and you don't need to pay a lot for one.

3. Kryptix

Kryptix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    The Harmony One is quite expensive at around £90 but it really is superb. :cool: It's easily one of my favourite purchases for my setup. :thumbsup:

4. deek72

deek72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yes, you DEFINITELY need one and it just so happens..........http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776067

5. advid

advid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    >>>>The Harmony One is quite expensive at around £90 but it really is superb. It's easily one of my favourite purchases for my setup.

from ADVID (originator of this thread)

YES ..the Harmony One would be the one that I'd buy if I was going to buy anything...BUT - what about the coloured 'Teletext' buttons - can you get round this problem ? All other Harmonies seem to have them ....!!

6. Kryptix

Kryptix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    They appear on the touch screen so it's really not a problem. I haven't missed them what-so-ever. :thumbsup:

7. monksy74

monksy74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    ADVID,

I'm with Kryptix on this one. The colour buttons being on the touchscreen are not a problem for me. Many people complain about not having hard colour buttons on the One as they use them a lot, especially on Sky+ / HD. Personally I think they are used seldomly.

It's true that you have to be a bit more careful using a touchscreen butting as you have to look at the screen and you can't feel where the button is. It's also easier to accidentally press a touch screen button.

Going back to your original post I haven't got experience of most of your devices, but I think it's definately worth getting a Harmony. Being able to select an activity and have the remote power the devices on / off and switch the inputs automatically is great, then leave the remote in context so that all buttons are right fot the activity you chose is great.

You can also be sure that if / when you change your AV setup you can add the new items into your profile and still control everything with the one remote.

If you are looking for a cheap into to Harmony remotes I've just put my old 555 up for sale: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776888

Phil

8. advid

advid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    YES ..the Harmony One would be the one that I'd buy if I was going to buy anything...BUT - what about the coloured 'Teletext' buttons - can you get round this problem ? All other Harmonies seem to have them ....!!

If you are looking for a cheap into to Harmony remotes I've just put my old 555 up for sale: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776888

Phil[/I]

reply from ADVID...
    Phil.... what does the Harmony One do that the 555 doesn't ? .... (I was originally thinking of buying the 555 or perhaps even the 525 first of all [both have Teletext buttons as well] - then I thought - why not go all the way and get the Harmony One) - Is it just the touch screen or are there other things it will do that the 'cheaper' models don't ....??

9. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    As you've seen, many users don't see it as a problem that the colour controls appear at first on the screen rather than on the hard buttons.
    To me they're not so much a problem there as an inconvenience, and it is so easy to transfer them to spare hard buttons that I very soon did that.
    All Harmonys have screens but the One's is more elaborate and colourful.
    They all do very much the same things in the same ways but the One's design and layout make it more pleasant and efficient to operate.

10. monksy74

monksy74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    ADVID,

In general all harmony remotes have the same functionality.

The comparison between these 2 models is:

The One has a colour touchscreen
    The One has a better layout of buttons and a much nicer feel
    The One has Favourite channel functionality - with channel logos as buttons.

The 555 has Sound and Picture buttons - you can assign different commands to buttons without changing activity

Hope this helps.

Phil

11. Jaunty

Jaunty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    I have the 555 in my bedroom set up (885 in living room pending receipt of The One).

The 555 is great for the money. Feels great in the hand.

12. advid

advid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17

...thanks for the help and all the comments guys BUT don't forget (first message) all I really wanted was a good remote that would control my Samsung DVDR without getting 'sticky' after a few months...

I've logged on to the Logitech/Harmony web site and ALL my TV/video stuff is recognised in the component database - that's what made me think of going the 'whole hog' and getting a Harmony One... but I've not really decided. I like my Sky HD remote and the Toshiba TV remote is also nice...

I'm now more inclined just to go for a 525 or 555.... Can anyone convince me to go down the 'One' route with some really positive reasons that it's SO MUCH better that the cheaper remotes....

My gear is usually ALL turned onto standby all the time...so Harmony Actions just to switch on certain items and the like are really just overkill.... Why then do I need to spend more money on the 'One' when a cheaper model will do... ?

I'm quite prepared to spend out to get a 'One' if you can convince me - otherwise it's probably gonna' be a 555...

13. Jaunty

Jaunty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    I think the 555 will be more than fine for you. £42 on Amazon and in stock at the moment.

14. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    My Sky and Tosh were fine - the Harmony One is much better.
    All Harmonys work the same way - or have I misunderstand that point about the models?

15. monksy74

monksy74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    ADVID,

It's hard to convince you as the One doesn't have much more functionality, it's mainly aesthetics. The colour touchscreen is nice - especially having the favourites channel logos.

The other main difference is it's rechargable, but the battery life on a 555 is pretty good anyway.

I've upgraded from a 555 to a One and don't regret it.

If you look at the 2 models and don't think wow I must have the One then the 555 is probably the right choice. It depends on your budget and taste.

Either way, I doubt you'll regret it.

One other point, you say that you leave your devices powered on all the time. The Harmony may end up saving you a bit of money in the long run if it's powering them off for you when they're not in use;)