Do I need a freeview box?? Sony 55xf9005

McTrucky

Hi all,
Just moved home and now get terrestrial TV, where previously we only had SKY HD+.

Our Sony 55xf9005 TV has YouView and the guide and search works quite well, but have failed to use the rewind/pause and record functions. Have tried connecting a large memory stick, which the TV recognises and can play video from, but we don't have the other functionality. The streaming channels work fine.

We want to record TV, and have the pause rewind functionality that was so easy on SKY+.

Question is - can I achieve what I want with the TV or do I need a separate FreeView box like a Humax FVP-5000? I am happy to get an external hard drive for the TV instead of the memory stick if that is what is needed, but if the Humax is going to be better/slicker/faster/easier to use then happy to spend the extra.

Not sure if it is relevant but the rest of the system is a Pioneer sclx77 AVR, feeding a 5.1 setup with quality speakers. I BubbleUPNP to stream qobuz audio to the amp, so a more modern gapless supporting streaming option built into a separate Freeview box could be a potential benefit.

Thoughts welcome.

htpc_rookie

Selecting which usb storage device to use is tricky. I found with my LG tv that only when I switched to a 2.5” usb drive could I pause or record.
I found that the recording capability of the tv was very limited. You need to ask yourself what you really want, like:
Watching one channel while recording another
Being able to watch a programme from the start while recording another
The ability to set a manual recording rather than from the epg only.
Even with the correct usb drive I think that you will find the tv unsatisfactory if you want to do most if not all of the above. See what the manual says though.

I found recording using the tv tuner to be very limiting on the LG. My LG has satellite and Freeview but would only use one tuner at any one time, so no record one, watch one. Also, I didn’t find the recording as reliable as a dedicated Freeview box.

McTrucky

Selecting which usb storage device to use is tricky. I found with my LG tv that only when I switched to a 2.5” usb drive could I pause or record.
I found that the recording capability of the tv was very limited. You need to ask yourself what you really want, like:
Watching one channel while recording another
Being able to watch a programme from the start while recording another
The ability to set a manual recording rather than from the epg only.
Even with the correct usb drive I think that you will find the tv unsatisfactory if you want to do most if not all of the above. See what the manual says though.

I found recording using the tv tuner to be very limiting on the LG. My LG has satellite and Freeview but would only use one tuner at any one time, so no record one, watch one. Also, I didn’t find the recording as reliable as a dedicated Freeview box.
I've done a lot of reading today, dug out and plugged in an old external drive I had, and it would appear that there is no way to get timeshifting, pausing live TV, on the Sony.
The closest way is to use an HDD, disable the YouVeiw app, and this then allows recording either from the guide, or simply, by pressing record while watching. Then to live pause you press record, press select to accept that you want to record, go into guide, select the thing being recorded and then play that. And hey presto you can press pause and go and get that cuppa. Not slick.
It seems that Sony have functionality limited by legal agreements. No pause. No recording combined with YouView. No ITV catchup unless you use YouView. All a bit pants and disappointing on what is technically very easy, but usage controls mean you need to buy additional hardware.

So I will be buying a PVR , not sure which one, but still searching for the functionality I want:
- Terestrial free view use
-Scroll back or forward guide that allows recording and direct access to catchup tv across all catchup tv.
-Support for dolby digital plus and/or whatever audio capability is broadcast
-DLNA support to use the device as a renderer, or a library with Bubble Upnp
-Ideally the capability to render a flac stream and output over hdmi with album art
-Gapless streaming of audio

I don't need Netflix or Prime as these apps are pretty solid on the tv.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom