Do I need a dvd recorder with built in freeview

mtw1966

Standard Member
Hello everybody this my first post and forgive me if i seem a little naive. I have just bought a Toshiba 32wlt58 lcd tv with built in freeview and am now looking to buy a dvd/hdd recorder. Friends have told me that i will also need a recorder with built in freeview to record any programs that are only available on freeview (ie not bbc1-ch5) is this correct, i was originally looking at the Liteon 5045-gdl or Sony rdr-hxd510. But now i might have to up my budget to maybe take in the Sony rdrhxd710 or 910 any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.:thumbsup:
 

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
It's not strictly correct as you will be able to use the Freeview tuner in the TV to "drive" a recorder. But once the tuner is being used to record, you can't also use it for something else (except perhaps to watch the same programme).

Your life will be MUCH MUCH simpler if you follow the advice your friends have given you. Setting the timer, for example, will be wholly self-contained rather than involving, somehow, both the TV and recorder. And you will be able to record one whilst watching another.
 

mtw1966

Standard Member
Thanks for the info i have decided on a Sony rdrhxd710 with the built in freeview just need to find the best price now.Thanks again.:thumbsup:
 

aekostas

Active Member
mtw1966 said:
Thanks for the info i have decided on a Sony rdrhxd710 with the built in freeview just need to find the best price now.Thanks again.:thumbsup:

That's the thing, they charge lots more for built-in freeview. I wish I did not have an external box (I actually have two as my TV does not have Freeview) but not at a 30% mark-up (as was the case with Panasonic).
 
D

Denshade

Guest
Hey Nigel
I have just bought a Samsung digital TV (choice of tv or DTV) with built-in Freeview - I also bought a DVD recorder. I was surprised to find that I can't record the digital programs.
Would I be able to link in a freeview box just for the recorder or will it be confusing for the Digital TV?
Regards
Dennis
 

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Denshade said:
Hey Nigel
I have just bought a Samsung digital TV (choice of tv or DTV) with built-in Freeview - I also bought a DVD recorder. I was surprised to find that I can't record the digital programs.

What's the model no?
 

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I am surprised that you can't record using the Freeview tuner in the TV. However, I'll take your word for it.

There is no good reason why you shouldn't buy a separate Freeview box to couple to your DVD recorder. Even if you can actually record off the TV's tuner, this will give you the ability to record one whilst watching another.

You should cable it up like this:

Aerial cable from wall to Freeview Box > DVD recorder > TV. Miss out the bit in Dark Green if you have no need to record analogue channels 1.....5 .

SCART cable between the Freeview box and the DVD recorder.
SCART cable between the DVD recorder and the TV.

It's just possible, if your reception is currently marginal, that the presence of an extra receiver (the Freeview box) will degrade your signal to the point where it distresses the TV (as it is the last thing to get a stab at the signal). If this happens then the only thing you can do it improve the signal by the standard methods - new aerial, new downlead, etc... You may, therefore, want to try out the extra box if you can, by borrowing one before buying (or buying from somewhere that you can return it).
 
D

Denshade

Guest
Hey
Thanks for thinking about my problem - the model is Samsung LE26R41BD
Regards
Dennis
 

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Denshade said:
Hey
Thanks for thinking about my problem - the model is Samsung LE26R41BD
Regards
Dennis

Are you sure you can't record the Freeview signals from it?
I remember reading a thread about this in the LCD forum where some owners said they could and some said they couldn't record Freeview from the built-in tuner.
Have you ever tried to? I thought it output them from the AV1 scart?
 

aekostas

Active Member
LV426 said:
It's just possible, if your reception is currently marginal, that the presence of an extra receiver (the Freeview box) will degrade your signal to the point where it distresses the TV (as it is the last thing to get a stab at the signal). If this happens then the only thing you can do it improve the signal by the standard methods - new aerial, new downlead, etc...

Is a (powered perhaps) signal splitter a good option in this case? They are readily available and easy to install.
 

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
aekostas said:
Is a (powered perhaps) signal splitter a good option in this case? They are readily available and easy to install.
They are the least desirable option. It is always better to improve your actual reception than to boost something that's (avoidably) flawed. One should only consider signal boosters after all else has been done. And one should only ever consider masthead amplifiers anyway. In-room devices can be effective, but often simply amplify the interference/noise along with the signal, which does nothing to improve its quality.
 
D

Denshade

Guest
Hey Nigel
You are right - after trying every option, I find that I can record freeview programs BUT only if they are actually showing on the tv. If I change channels so does the recording. If I turn off the tv the recording stops!
I am convinced now that I need a freeview box for my DVD recorder or a recorder with built -in freeview.
Thanks for your advice!
Regards
Dennis
 

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
OK that figures.

You need a Freeview tuner to receive Freeview, and each Tuner can only receive one programme at a time. Your recorder hasn't got one. Your only Freeview tuner, at present, is in your TV. Your TV does offer an output to the recorder, but that output is, as you've discovered, (and obviously), what it's receiving. As it has only one Freeview tuner it can only provide an output for the same thing that's on screen.

There may be some method of leaving the TV in a half-on state, where the tuner is receiving and producing an output, but the screen is off.

However, as you say, a separate box to slave to your recorder will give you the flexibility to record something different and leave the TV out of the equation if you aren't actually watching at the time.
 

587td

Standard Member
Denshade said:
Hey Nigel
You are right - after trying every option, I find that I can record freeview programs BUT only if they are actually showing on the tv. If I change channels so does the recording. If I turn off the tv the recording stops!
I am convinced now that I need a freeview box for my DVD recorder or a recorder with built -in freeview.
Thanks for your advice!
Regards
Dennis

Hi Dennis
I am also having this sort of problem with a Sony KDFE50A12 I cannot record freeview unless the set is switched on.
Have you managed to find a solution to this problem ?
Regards
Trevor
 

JayCee

Distinguished Member
587td said:
Hi Dennis
I am also having this sort of problem with a Sony KDFE50A12 I cannot record freeview unless the set is switched on.

It tells you in the user manual you can record and switch the set to standby...but do not switch it off.
It's just the way it was designed.
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom