Do I need a DTS-ES caplable dvd player for DTS-ES?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by matt bellamy, Jun 19, 2004.

1. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a DTS-ES and dolby digital EX capable AMP but was told by the saleman a Dixons that I will need a DTS-ES or DD-EX DVD player to be able to listen to a DVD encoded with DTS-ES or DD-EX. I have searched shops and the web for such a player but haven't yet come across one. Was the salesman just ignorant or do such players exist?

Thanks

2. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Dixons sale person fibbing.

The DVD disc is en-coded with the relevant sound, ie DTS-ES, etc. When the sound is fed through the amp (Optical or Digital Coax), it will use the relevant speakers, ie it will be in DTS-ES/EX.

Your needs to be compatiable with this sound, ie the newer amps.

I hope that makes sense.

3. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it's the amp that does the work to make the soundtrack from the DVD disc 6.1 DTS-ES and NOT the DVD player?

4. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yup, in one :)

Typical incorrect knowledge from a Dixons employee - and the store wonders why their sales are falling - no proper technical training for the poor staff being made redundant, but every trick in the book to sell over-priced warranties and cables !

5. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should have known he was wrong. I needed an amp with s-video out so that I could connect it to my tv with at least 5 s-video inputs for Xbox, DVD player, ps2 etc. The amp he suggested had no s-video input or outputs so I would have to connect dvd, Xbox, ps2 etc to tv (with ordinary phono video) and their audio to the amp. I explained to the guy that this would mean me having to constantly change the input cable to tv. I finally got the amp I wanted but only because I had a bit of AV knowledge.