1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do i need a Dreamcast

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by inzaman, Mar 24, 2004.

1. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Having read a few threads recently in this console forum there appears to be quite a few of you that have a dreamcast and speak quite highly of them, which has, along with the fact that you can now pick them up quite cheap, got me thinking about getting one.

I currently have a chipped xbox with high def pack connected to my pj which i am thrilled to bits with.

What am i missing out on by not currently owning a Dreamcast, would it be worth me getting one and if so are there any essential games.

2. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes to all of those, prices have bottomed out, AAA titles can be had for under £4. I've had all the current consoles but none have grabbed me like the DC did/does.

What sort of games do you like?

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    The dreamcast was technically superior to the PS2 so go figure.

There are also some AAA titles never ported to any other console so unless you get one you are missing out.

4. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    Shenmue I + II...can't stop playing them.

5. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    MSR was another great game on the Dreamcast.

6. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    sega rally 2, virtual tennis 1 + 2, Resident Evil :Code veronica

7. JamesOD

JamesOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Get a dreamcast it was (is) one of the finest machines ever and still has a line up of software that cannot be beat.

If like me you love 2d capcom fighters this machine is fantastic.

8. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Is it legal to download ISO's of the games now it is an non-profitable machine?

9. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Worth mentioning it isn't actually dead, games are still being released albeit Japanese only titles but a cheap bootdisk will let you play imports.

My essential purchases:

Soul Calibur
    Virtua Tennis
    Shenmue (slow starter but gets good)
    Crazy Taxi

Some of the bundles on ebay are ridiculously cheap, I just picked up a second machine complete with official gun, fishing rod, vmu, controller, leads and 5 games delivered for £38

10. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

No, because someone still holds the copyright to it and haven't given permission, even really old games are still protected by copyrights hence things like the old Mario games having to be removed from emulation sites when Nintendo threatened legal action as well as MAME sites getting closed down even though no one loses out financially as a result.

11. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Get one. Loads of good games, Soul Calibur, Vurtua Tennis 1 & 2, MSR, Sega Rally 2, Bass Fishing, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Tee Off, Unreal Tournament, Toy Comander, Marvel Vs Capcom 2. I could go on and on. Still makes me a little sad that it died so early.
    I still play mine quite a lot as much as my Xbox, it's just anoying that my PD30 does not like the 60htz US games which I have a lot of.

12. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    If you like SNKNeoGeo 2D fighting games there's a whole slew on dreamcast (albeit mostly Jap only) like Capcom Vs Snk, King of Fighters, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, Last Blade etc etc.

Worth getting for these alone, IMO.

Shenmue is the single greatest gaming experience I have ever had: I cannot express how much i enjoyed playing thru (okay, maybe not the forklift truck bits too much) and how much i missed it when it had finished.

Seaman is also worth buying, if only for novelty value (tho I found it thoroughly diverting).

For rythym games, you also can't do much better than Cool Cool Toon (again, Jap only).

Jet Set Radio is also superb: so many good games! I'm still finding stuff to buy 3 years later! I own a PS2 and can't find anything worth buying!
    regards,
    anephric

regards,
    anephric

13. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Cheers guys sounds like i need to have a look about ebay and try and get a decent package. The type of games i like are RPG, not enough of them on the xbox, driving and adventure.

Shenmue seems to be getting a lot pf praise what type of game is this?

14. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's sort of RPG, more adventure though, you have lots of freedom and can walk round and visit shops, talk to people as much as you like, you can buy a drink from the vending machine, play the slot machines and play games in the arcade (hang on, space harrier and others) then you can buy tapes for your walkman to listen to!

There is also fighting to learn (proper fights based on the virtua fighter set up), get to ride a bike and have forklift truck races (which kick ass!) and even get a job moving crates (which is actually fun) there are various fights to do and QTE (where you have to hit the button that flashes up on the screen quickly to perform an action) This is all along the way as part of the overall story.

It's a bit tedious at first wandering round aimlessly trying to get information out of people but after a while the game really opens up and becomes compelling.

It's definitely a top game and the £8 or so it will cost you is a travesty!

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Yep, you should definately get one, it's a superb machine with some amazing titles as have been mentioned above. I owned one from release right up until they brought PES out on the PS2. I traded in my DC at that time but have had a couple since.

My fave games are :-

Shenmue 1 & 2 - amazing games they are almost alive!
    Virtua Tennis 1 & 2 - fun and intuitive tennis games
    MSR - decent racer with awesome, accuratly modelled scenery.
    Ferrari 355 - superb, hard & realistic ferrari sim!
    Soul Calibur - better than SC2 IMO
    Crazy taxi 1 & 2- superb fun, very addictive!
    Daytona USA - superb version of the great coin op
    Marvel vs Capcom - near arcade perfect - great 2d beat em up
    ReVolt - i thought this was class! Hard but compelling RC racing game!
    Toy Commander - another innovative, fun and hard game!
    Powerstone 1 & 2 - great 3D capcom beat em ups!
    Headhunter - top 3d Adventure
    Ready 2 Rumble - Funny and entertaining boxing game.

There's other games like the adventure/RPG Grandia 2 that are also meant to be good + loads of Jap only titles. Plenty on other UK titles as well, the above are just my faves :p

They're dead cheap, you can pick them up on ebay for less than the price of a new X-Box/PS2 game!

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes well worth getting. Many unique titles that are yet to be bettered on any of the next gen consoles really.

My favorites :

Alien Front Online (Blow Aliens up in big tanks. Excellent)
    Star Lancer (Space Combat on the Dreamcast)
    Shenmue 1 & 2 (Great adventure titles, years ahead of their time)
    Virtua Tennis 2 (Is there any better tennis game availble ?)
    Soul Calibur (Best fighting game I have ever played)
    Crazy taxi 1 & 2 (As arcade)
    Powerstone 1 & 2 (As arcade)
    Headhunter (A great game that came to late)
    Ready 2 Rumble (Best boxing title I have played on a console)

Its criminal that people were buy PS crap I mean one when they could of be buying on of these.

I look at it and still cant believe people bought a PS2 over one of these.

You can pick these up with games and accessories for £30 now on ebay. Get a boot disc and you can be buying import titles like Alien front which were sadly unavailable in this country.

For best quality get a vga cable from Lik Sang. I cant wait to get mine conected up to the projector via VGA.

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    I agree Harrisuk, this machine was out ages before the PS2 and it still kicked it's arse in terms of quality IMO. It's just a shame that many of the big developers such as Konami & EA held fire and waited for the PS2 otherwise things may have been different.

The game i personally think the machine lacked was a great footie title. The WWS and UEFA games that came out were passable but were just not good enough. ISSPro2 on the PS1 wiped the floor with all of them and this was the main problem. Had KCET released PES on the dreamcast then stacks of ISS fans would have moved over to the machine, providing the game was good that is ;) . It was this fact that kept me using my PS1 (allbeit as well as my DC) until PES came out on the PS2. I remember all through the DC's life it was plagued by a lack of decent footie titles and with no EA backing it didn't even have FIFA (which although is crap compared to PES, sells by the bucket load).

It had the racing games (MSR, F355, SegaGT, Crazy Taxi, Daytona USA, Sega Rally2), RPG's/adventure (Shenmue1&2, Grandia 2, Headhunter), Tennis games (Virtua Tennis 1&2), 3D beat em ups (Virtua fighter 3Tb, Soul Calibur), 2D Beat em ups (Marvel vs Capcom, SNK vs Capcom), light gun games (House of the dead 2, confidential mission), Survival Horror (Res Evil code Veronica, Res Evil 3 Nemesis). Add to this the fact that Sega Arcade hits such as future VF games, Outrun 2 etc would have hit the machine and things looked very healthy for it. I guess it shows how important having a great footie game is on a platform.

18. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    I think i am pretty much sold on one, as i said earlier just need to go looking for a decent deal now. So to clarrify to play import games i need a boot disk and i can hook this up to the pj via vga, may need a vga to dvi adaptor for my Z2.

It sound like sega were on to a bit of a winner with this console but were just out marketed by sony.

19. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grab a console plus games bundle on ebay, some real bargains to be had. Boot disc for import games - correct, not sure how many versions there are but mine is called DC-X and it works fine. Vga box yup, cost you in the region of £10, you'll also need a 3.5mm>phono lead to get sound.

The hype of PS2 killed dreamcast, we were promised the 'Emotion Engine' network adapters, connectivity to camcorders and digital cameras where we could load our faces into games and all sorts of amazing sounding stuff.

People held off buying the dreamcast because ps2 sounded so amazing, it was grossly over-hyped in the end but suckers still flocked to it even though there was next to nothing to play on it at release.

For a while the DC did well but the defeating of its anti-piracy measures put a big nail in its coffin.

20. al5x

al5x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't want the hassle of ebay, (and providing you've got one nearby) gamestation tend to have used machines in stock at a reasonable price...either way, make sure you pick one up!

21. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You need a utopia boot disc to play imports. You can download the iso easy, file sharing or from the net. Just burn using nero.

If you have problems I am sure I have a copy of it somewhere I could let you have.

THe other amazing thing about this console was the ability to properly browse the net. Sega never really made a big enough deal out of this in my opinion. I have a keyboard and mouse, for mine for the few decent fps that let you use them. I can also thoruoghly recommend Outtrigger and Quake 3 incidentally -- with the keyboard and mouse of course :thumbsup:

At one poinjt you could pick these up brand new for £50 on the high street. A decent games console and the ability to browse the net out of the box for £50. Absolute bargain.

Whilst it lasted there was also the first foray into console online gaming. Phantasy Star online was excellent and propeller arena was finished but never released because of 9/11.

Shame really.

22. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    There are so many games for this little beauty, I play this more than my Cube and PS2 combined, Marvel vs Capcom 2 with the arcade stick (that weighs a ton, but is so robust) is phenomenal, and me and my friends/bros still have many hours playing teh beat em ups and HOTD2 etc!

And if you get teh chance play Crazy Taxi with the fishing rod, faster you reel, faster you go, brilliant fun!

23. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I would also like to add that confidential Mission and House of the Dead 2 are awsome with the light gun. But for those of us with projectors :(

24. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Another great game is Bust a move 4 - although the series is available on other machines - great multiplayer!