Do I need a Dolby Pro Logic II decoder ?

LegionOfHell

Novice Member
SOME PS2 games support Dolby Pro Logic II. You should enable them in-game.

Here is what I think happens:

PS2 upmixes stereo to 5.1 --> signal is outputted through optical out --> Device with a DPLII decoder --> 5.1 speaker system or virtual surround sound processor for headphones

Am I getting this right ? To use the Dolby Pro Logic II feature of the PS2 console, I am going to need a device with a DPLII decoder ? aren't these rare nowadays ?

I have a creative X7 that has a Dolby digital decoder, is it compatible with DPLII ?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Surround channels can be matrixed down into just 2 channel audio sources and this is basically how surround sound was delivered on analogue sources such as VHS tapes and then later in association with TV broadcasts using NICAM digital stereo. Pro Logic is the processing that would originally have been used to extract these matrixed channels from the 2 channel signal. It was also used to upmix stereo content to create pseudo surround in the absence of any surround channels being matrixed into the 2 channel source.

Pro Logic has now been superceeded by Dolby Surround Upmixing (not to be confused with the original Dolby Surround). This is basically an upmixing mode developed to create the impression of Atmos, but will still detect any matrixed channel included within 2 channel sources. It is backward compatible with the matrixed audio you'd previously associate with Pro Logic. The way in which these matrixed channels are portrayed will differ to what you would have experienced if using Pro LOgic though. The algorithms are different and Dolby would suggest they are better. Whether they actually are better is debatable though?

Modern day Atmos enabled AV receivers no longer include Pro LOgic or the various derivatives of it and this has been replaced with Dolby Surround Upmixing. Use this instead of Pro Logic if you've an AV receiver devoid of Pro Logic and inclusive of Dolby Surround.

LegionOfHell

Novice Member
Can a Dolby Pro Logic IIx decoder decode a Dolby Pro Logic II signal ? is DPLIIx backwards compatible with DPLII ?

mjn

Distinguished Member
Can a Dolby Pro Logic IIx decoder decode a Dolby Pro Logic II signal ? is DPLIIx backwards compatible with DPLII ?
I would have thought so. Technology is usually backwards compatible.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Read the Wiki... and Dante's reply.

The answer is Yes, but some will say the result is 'different' to what a PL-II decoder would do... but it will depend as much if not more on what / how many speakers and their room positioning are that are connected to your amplifier.

Suck it and see?

If you are very dissatisfied with the sound, then consider an old second hand AVR with the decoder in?

LegionOfHell

Novice Member
What is the difference between these two setups :

Setup 1:

(1) Set the PS2 game to output DPLII through PS2's optical out.
(2) Connect the optical cable from PS2 to a DPLII decoder.
(3) Decoder decodes the DPLII signal and produces two channel virtual surround by using something like Dolby Headphone.

Setup 2:

(1) Set the PS2 game to output standard two channel stereo signal through PS2's optical out.
(2) Connect the optical cable from PS2 to a sound processor.
(3) Sound processor uses DPLII to upmix the stereo to 5.1.
(4) Sound processor takes the 5.1 signal and produces two channel virtual surround by using something like Dolby Headphone.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Difference would be that the second setup would create pseudo surround while the first setup would be matrixing actual discrete surround channels into the stereo channels if the audio were a discrete multichannel format. Option one doesn't matrix discrete channels into the 2 stereo channels and relies upon the processing to create pseudo surround.

Last edited:

LegionOfHell

Novice Member
if the audio were a discrete multichannel format.

Are some PS2 games capable of outputting 5.1 channels and then using DPLII to turn it into 2 channels ?

I am saying this because some PS2 games have the option to output DPLII instead of stereo...

Another question, When you enable DPLII in a game this is what happens:

Optical Out:

(1) Game outputs 5.1 channels.
(2) DPLII converts it to an encoded 2-channel signal.
(3) Signal is sent out to optical out to a DPLII decoder

Analog out:

(1) Game outputs 5.1 channels.
(2) DPLII converts it to an encoded 2-channel signal.
(3) PS2's DPLII decoder decodes the signal.
(4) DAC converts the signal to analog ?

Am I getting this right ?

Last edited:

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
No you are getting it wrong.

Pro logic does not have a .1 LFE channel for a start.

For example if the game decides there is a sound on the rear surround channel, which is mono in this case as it is pro logic.

It will then mix it in to the rest of the signal using a Dolby pro logic encoder. This produces a stereo signal.

It can then either output this via optical, remains as a digital stereo track with matrixed pro logic.

Or it will use the PS2 DAC to convert to an analogue stereo signal, which still contains the pro logic information (to which the dac is not the wiser).

You need to feed that in to an avr that will up mix that signal to 5.0 using a Dolby pro logic iix or Dolby surround decoder

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
You're overthinking the whole thing.
Try the different options on one (or more) games and see what they sound like to you.
Settle on the one that gives you the best sonic bang for your buck.

My guess is that the stereo / PL-II option is possibly two differently mixed sound tracks... as it was 'new' in 2002

This Dolby Pro Logic II in games question... asks the same Q with the answer I gave as the final response... (googled after I wrote the above).

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom