1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I Need A Card Reader?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Garrett, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    I will in the very near future be buying a digital camera and was thinking I would be able to plug the camera straight into the computer to download the pictures onto it. But I have just been reading what a card reader does and was wondering if I need to buy one or do you only use them when not using the camera?

And if I do not need a reader do the leads from the camera to the computer generally come with the camera?

2. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Not essential but depending on how you work, can be useful.

For example, your camera will come with its own software. Dependant on the camera you may find that when plugged into the PC, you HAVE to use the supplied software to get the pictures off the camera onto the PC. If you use a reader, then you can use whatever software you want without this restriction.

It also means that whilst downloading your pictures using a reader, you can be charging your betteries at the same time.

Yes

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a reader built in to my pc mate, and i never use it. I just use my usb, it's quicker for me to just hook it up then it is to take the card out and put it in. sounds lazy i know. But i dont think you need one

4. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :laugh:

I guess it's 'horses for courses'! I bought a reader at the same time as my camera and have never uploaded from the camera via the supplied USB cable :D

Being able to access the memory cards as a removeable drive makes the process pretty much transparent i.e. once the card is loaded into the reader, using the files is no different to using the hard drives - with no added 'software layer' to deal with.

Incidentally, part of my preference arose from feeling safer using the camera as little as possible (less wear n' tear). For me, the camera was a lot of money - so anything that (hopefully) keeps it running that little bit longer has to be a good thing.

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can understand that mate:) I'm just to lazy to take the it out:laugh:

6. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Personally speaking I would say get one.

I dont know of any camera that comes with a USB 2.0 port on the camera itself but you can now get USB 2.0 card readers which download your picture much faster than USB 1.1. For small, low resolution pictures the speed difference may not be that much of an issue but if you either shoot lots of photos on a large card or are shoot high resolution files or RAW files the speed difference is quite noticeable and as has been mentioned before saves your camera batteries from dieing on you in mid transfer.

Card readers are so cheap these days that I would consider one a highly worthwhile purchase.

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    I bought this one from Ebuyer
    Ebuyer card reader
    It's small, neat and doesn't require external power and only costs £11-74 inc VAT (free shipping also).
    I've found that having a card reader, I sometimes backup files to CF card and can use the reader to transfer files from one computer to another as it's easy to carry around with you.

8. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    If you get a Canon (Well, I only know about the IXUS 400) then you will need to put the Canon software on every PC you want to use it with. The software isn't that great to use and if you have restrictions (ie a work PC) you may not be able to put the software on. It also uses the camera battery when transfering.
    For this type of camera, I recommend getting a card reader.

Using an Olympus (MJU300), the camera is seen as a removable drive and is powered by USB, so transfer is the same as with a card reader. So either plug in the camera or the card reader - not much difference.

9. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I do use a reader - miles quicker to download to PC then my Canon - I have the same one JohnG has linked above and can't fault it, it's also pretty small so sits nicely on top of my pc and reads everything there is going at the moment.

A card reader is also handy for putting photos back on the card (I do this to take to boots for printing). Some cameras will not allow you to do this if you've played around with the photo in photoshop or even renamed the files.

10. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    One good thing about the Canon software (Zoom browser) is that it transfers the images and automatically places them in folders named based on the date the pictures where taken, and not based on upload date

A usb multi-card reader fixed to a spare 3.5" floppy bay is very usefull thing to have.

11. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +589
    I got a very good 6 in 1 usb card reader from www.play.com. think it was about £12 inc delivery. with winxp you just plug it in and wait for the drivers to load, you dont have to install anything and it gets its power from the usb port.
    figrin_dan, with winxp you can just plug the s400 in, you dont need to load any software to transfer the pics to the hard drive, you just drag the files across to wherever you want them.
    i think the only down side to using a card reader is that the cf door could become damaged with a lot of use.
    just my oppinion

Dave.

12. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks - I did not know that, I've only tried with Win98 and Win2000.
    About the damage, you risk the CF slot one way and the USB socket the other. But that's how it goes until there are more bluetooth cameras.

13. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +589
    Agree about the damage but i was playing with my mates EOS300D and thought the door was very flimsy comapred to my s400. I think i would rather break a £12 card reader than have to send a camera off for repair but with the EOS ill just use the cable.

Dave.

14. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I just plug my Camera into the computer with it's own USB cable.

USB 2.0 supported Camera so super quick transfer times, and XP just see's the Memory Stick as an extra drive, so no additional software needed. :thumbsup: