Do I need a blu ray player with HTPC?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by shopper150, Dec 26, 2011.

1. shopper150

shopper150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi all

I'm planning on getting a HTPC with blu ray drive.

Are there any advantages of getting a stand alone blu ray player or will the HTPC serve all needs?

Apologies for being a little vague. I haven't specced up the HTPC yet, but I'm just wondering if there are any advantages of having a standalone player? I like the idea of an HTPC as its flexible/versatile.

Many thanks

2. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    As flexible as an HTPC is, get a dedicated stand-alone BD player if you want a hassle-free BD experience.

Like yourself, I envisaged my HTPC doing everything, so I got a BD drive. To be honest it's just a waste of time and money when it comes to playing discs. It's more a fault of the software than the hardware to be fair, but if you don't want to spend time tweaking refresh rates, witnessing dropped frames, and dealing with lipsync issues, then rather spend the money on a proper player (it'll end up costing about as much in the end). The BD drive is only useful if you want to rip discs.