Do I need a 4k projector

NutBeWild

Novice Member
I'm at a loss with projectors, I recently moved into a new house that has a preinstalled projector screen and ceiling mount that wouldn't need keystone adjustment. But I am an absolute newb so I could be dead wrong. Anyway, I want to know, do I need a 4k projector?

the room is laid out in a way where the projector will be further away than the viewing position, but not by a lot. the projector would be 3.9 metres (12.8ft) away from the screen and the couch would be just a bit in front of that, probably 3.8 or 3.7 metres (12.47ft or 12.14ft) away from the screen. the Projector screen itself is really big, I think about 250 inches or so from just some rough measurements. I don't need it to encompass the whole screen, but I would like to have the biggest size possible before the "1080p" resolution becomes noticeable.

I have very little 4k content and I am wondering if its worth saving up longer for a cheap 4k projector or spend about 600 - 800 euros on a good 1080p one? any advice or recommendation would be great!

Stridsvognen

Well for a 250" screen you in the 100.000£ + projector game, unless you just want a faint shadow on the screen.

squared80

Novice Member
Do you need one? No. But I wouldn't buy a projector today without it.
1638730137647.png

Attachments

• 1638730009526.png
    1638730009526.png
    109 KB · Views: 32

ask4me2

A 250" 16:9 screen will measure 5.54 meters wide and 3.11 meters in height.

A popular projector like the Epson TW9400 will need at least 7.46 meters from the screen with the lens at its widest setting to be able to fill that screen area with a picture.

alebonau

Distinguished Member
even 150" is challenging for most let alone a 500-600 projector... OP have to be realistic in expectations...

you dont need a 250" projector...immersion is related to screen size vs distance sit from the screen... just sit a bit closer ...the chart above is going to be a good guide if want to resolve 4k. keeping in mind your budget wont buy you a native 4k projector anyhow...just a mirror or pixel shifter :)

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
I agree with the principle of less resolution required if you are further away but the idea that 6 pixels per square mm from 10 Foot away is preferable Is a little erm excessive!?

ask4me2

Is it only me that finds it strange that the viewing distance charts give so different results?

Just look at the difference for the numbers for 1080p and 4K on a 100" screen.

100inch resolution_chart.png

100inch.png

Last edited:

Stridsvognen

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I'm at a loss with projectors, I recently moved into a new house that has a preinstalled projector screen and ceiling mount that wouldn't need keystone adjustment. But I am an absolute newb so I could be dead wrong. Anyway, I want to know, do I need a 4k projector?

the room is laid out in a way where the projector will be further away than the viewing position, but not by a lot. the projector would be 3.9 metres (12.8ft) away from the screen and the couch would be just a bit in front of that, probably 3.8 or 3.7 metres (12.47ft or 12.14ft) away from the screen. the Projector screen itself is really big, I think about 250 inches or so from just some rough measurements. I don't need it to encompass the whole screen, but I would like to have the biggest size possible before the "1080p" resolution becomes noticeable.

I have very little 4k content and I am wondering if its worth saving up longer for a cheap 4k projector or spend about 600 - 800 euros on a good 1080p one? any advice or recommendation would be great!

Generally 1080p content if from Blu-ray will look awesome. I don't think resolution is a massive deal unless you watch loads of 4K content, specifically games which seem to utilise the resolution more. A 1080p bluray still looks utterly gorgeous.

The maximum throw distance from 3.9m will probably be around 110-120 inches once you take into account space for the projector.

What does the room look like?

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom