Do I need a "3D Blu-ray" player if I've got a 3D TV?

syncopix

Standard Member
Hi,

I've just purchased a Samsung D7000 TV (very very impressed with it!). This is a 3D TV.

Simple question: Do I need a Blu-ray player that is marketed as a 3D player, if my TV does 3D? Or will any Blu-ray player work with 3D DVDs?

I'm assuming the TV will do all of the 3D cleverness if the Blu-ray player is connected with the correct HDMI cable?

Seems silly, I know but AV is a new arena for me.

Thanks in advance.

mentm

You can use any bluray player but to view 3d blurays in 3d you will need a 3d player.

syncopix

Standard Member
Thanks for the very quick reply. That's great.

Going kind of OT but can the PS3 play 3D Blu-ray discs, in 3D?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the very quick reply. That's great.

Going kind of OT but can the PS3 play 3D Blu-ray discs, in 3D?

Yes, but unlike dedicated 3D players it cannot output HD audio (DTS Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD) at the same time as 3D Blu-ray video.

syncopix

Standard Member
Really appreciate the help!

The PS3 may be a nice interim solution as I don't have any dedicated sound setup at the moment so HD audio isn't a great issue right now. And I'll be able to play Gran Turismo 5 in 3D :D Two birds with one stone.

Many thanks again.

MaturityDodger

Just a clarification to your original question, as I think you may have been hinting at something which isn't discussed further to your question.

If you use your 3D TV with a non-3D player, then you should still get some kind of 3D. This is because 3D devices usually offer some kind of 3D simulation from a 2D source. I'm pretty sure that your Samsung has this.
Different 3D engines work better than others, but none will generate the effect as well as a true 3D source.

But to get true 3D you will, as dante says, need a 3D player.

MaturityDodger

Your honesty astounds me.
You, sir, are a true gentleman.

(Yes, I misread the thread - apologies mentm!)

ArmitageShanks

Yes, but unlike dedicated 3D players it cannot output HD audio (DTS Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD) at the same time as 3D Blu-ray video.
I thought there was a recent update that made the PS3 effectively HDMI 1.4 capable (read: 3D + HD lossless audio)?

abulkasam

I thought there was a recent update that made the PS3 effectively HDMI 1.4 capable (read: 3D + HD lossless audio)?

version 3.7 of PS3 firmware brought the following:
DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR decoding/bit stream output (or lossless audio) supported while playing Blu-ray 3D movies.

So it should work but not for Dolby True HD yet...but what if you send LPCM instead of Bitstream?

I am still searching for a solution of combining the PS3 with a 1.3 Amp...

mentm

If you have a 1.3 receiver and you wish to view 3d you either need a player with two hdmis or use optical / sd audio only.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom