Do I NEED a 3/5 yr warranty

piperdelux

Standard Member
Reaction score
Right - after 42px70cab. Best price i've found is £1119.99 from Empire Direct. Can't get from JL as no local stores.

Managed to get my local panasonic shop to pricematch, but they won't give me their 3 year warranty, only 1 year standard...

Any advice? I mean the set will be covered on my contents nsurance - are these warranties worth all the extra wedge?

Any advice welcome...

I think they are a complete con, if they are free then fine, but I would never pay for one, or never more than say £25 a year, and by that I mean if JL were £100 more expensive than somewhere else I might consider it, but I would never take out an extended warranty.

I agree with giz

They are a con

You have rights and these warranties suppliment the retailers profits, and the retailers play on this.

I have never brought an extended warranty and hav actually never needed one.

Over 30 years I have only had 1 faulty tv, a Lowe, the tube went after 3.5 years. By the time I finished it the tube was replaced FOC, and my assertiveness only took 2 weeks!!!!

Right - after 42px70cab. Best price i've found is £1119.99 from Empire Direct. Can't get from JL as no local stores.

Managed to get my local panasonic shop to pricematch, but they won't give me their 3 year warranty, only 1 year standard...

Any advice? I mean the set will be covered on my contents nsurance - are these warranties worth all the extra wedge?

Any advice welcome...

Hi Piperdelux,

Have you tried JL? I've never been in one of these stores as I live a good 2hr drive from my nearest JL ( Liverpool ), however they PM'd Empire Direct on a TH50PX60 for me and happy to deliver for an additional £25 charge. May be worth a go.

Keith.

Tried JL, the bloke said they wouldnt price match on delivered items - guess its just luck of the draw who u speak to...

Anyway, took the plunge, just been to panasonic, just got it out me car.

£1119 for the 42px70cab - only 1 year warranty but hey, live dangerously - quite happy with it as they got it in the window for £1399...

I wish I'd managed to get mine from JL. They weren't doing the 435xde at the time, only the 505xde and my wife convinced me that it would be too big.....

It's now two years and four months old with three intermittent faults: the colour goes crazy every so often before returning to normal, I get HDMI sound dropouts (from two separate sources and connections) and it switches itself off now and again for no apparent reason.

I've just written to Pioneer pointing out that I'm a tad disappointed with it's (lack of) reliability.

I wish I'd managed to get mine from JL. They weren't doing the 435xde at the time, only the 505xde and my wife convinced me that it would be too big.....

It's now two years and four months old with three intermittent faults: the colour goes crazy every so often before returning to normal, I get HDMI sound dropouts (from two separate sources and connections) and it switches itself off now and again for no apparent reason.

I've just written to Pioneer pointing out that I'm a tad disappointed with it's (lack of) reliability.

Time to get in touch with the dealer, and exercise the SOGA knowledge if they give you the runaround.
Your contract is with the dealer first and foremost - most manufacturers will accept the enquiry from the customer directly as a matter of courtesy and a way to retain you as a continued and future brand supporter, but they are under no obligation to do so.

Only once you've got nowhere with the dealer, would it be prudent to involve the manufacturer directly, either to speak with the dealer, or to deal with directly if they'll entertain it.
Putting across how very disappointed you are in the dealer and giving you second thoughts for continuing to support or consider further products from them, will often result in a remedy being forthcoming, and to your satisfaction.
I've often used the "previous dealings with company xyz when there's been a fault, have been very positive, and I recommend their products to people as a result" can have an amazing effect with some manufacturers who drag their heels, shall we say.

If you want one buy one. It is irrelevant what other people say about ext warranties its your choice at the end of the day. If you want the extra peace of mind then get one. Just make sure you know what the sale of goods act does for you (its not a free 6 year warranty as some would have you believe) and shop around.

Also some paid for policies cover accidental damage so if you were unlucky enough to drop your prized TV down the stairs in 4 and a half years you'd get a new one. No claims on your household insurance/excess or increases in your policy cost.

Make your own mind up mate.

The whole sale of goods act thing is not as black and white as you would think.

Sure it does state that the product should work for a reasonable amount of time and this can be "up to" six years but depending who you buy from, if you try and go like this route, you could end up going as far as the small claims court which means you could be talking several weeks or even a few months and during this period, you have no TV to watch. Plus of course you have to define what period of time is "reasonable". Your definition will no doubt vary from the retailers.

So in this case an extended warranty would make you life easier IF your TV broke down.

But then you have to look at value for money. After all, if you pay £1000 for a set but then the 5 year warranty is £600 then you could argue that this does not offer value for money and take the risk. If however you pay £1000 for the TV but the warranty is say £100 for 5 years then you might decide that 10% is good value.

I have NEVER had a TV die on my (and some of them have been quite old) however my inlaws TV died only 3 months ago when it was 4 years old and guess what? Currys had (in my view) stitched them up with the 5 year plan when they bought it. But of course they were the ones laughing when Currys sent them a cheque that meant they could replace their 32" CRT with a 42" LCD and of course they bought the warranty again.

But if you do want a warranty and the retailer either won't give you one or is too expensive you can always buy one independantly. For example Domestic and General (who do the warranties for Currys etc) also sell direct. The cost of a 5 year plan on say a 50" Panasonic Plasma costing £1200 is approx £480 (£7.99 per month x 60 months) yet you can buy a very similar warranty direct for around £290.

And finally remember that your home contents policy MAY cover damage to your TV (e.g you spill beer on it) but will not cover it if it just breaks down.

So you pays your money and takes your pick. Personally on big ticket items (e.g my 50" Panasonic) the 18% premium over the cheapest price I could find to get a 5 year warranty was (in my view) OK value as I did intent to keep the set for the full 5 years however had the premium been 40% I would not have bothered.

Warranties themselves are a good idea but only when they offer value for money at the same time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom