Do I need 4K any good HD 50"?

akonline

Standard Member
I was thinking the same and I doubt in the short term there will really be much call for it but all you have to do is see the picture and it's a no brainer. Be mad to buy a new TV without it. Obviously assuming the TV is a decent size, you are';t one of these people who changes TVs every couple of years, etc.

Spatt

Novice Member
Same boat here, I asked the same question but still haven't bought yet.

so here's what i gather.. I'm buying a TV for my living room. I want it to be good for gaming on and good for blueray. From what i understand you get more "bang for your buck" with a good HD panel than you do for the same money in 4K.

Yes it sucks that we'll probably have to upgrade in a few years but my budget of around £600 will get my a really good Sony screen or a mid-level 4K.

this is what i understand to be true however i may be corrected.

Also 4K looks great in store when they play the right stuff on it but i think i'll be disappointed when i get it home and dont have anything to play on it

akonline

Standard Member
Ok, I can add a bit to this.

I will only buy at John Lewis. Price match and 5 year warranty that you can rely on. I agree with everything from the above. I will be gaming, generally watching the HD channels on some form of Freeview (with a bit of SD - E4 and ITV2), no Sky, but if you look at a 4K picture it is incredible so I think it would be mad to buy a non-4K tv. Although I don't have any 4k content or Sky, they are due to release a box tomorrow and never say never.

I went into John Lewis and had a brief demo of the KD49X8005C and watched SD content and changed the settings to Cinema etc and the picture was excellent. I left that store definitely buying it. Other things I learned the above tv has Sony X1 processor in it which means it has the same as their top end TVs. The equivalent Panasonic does not.

Problem is I came home and check the Sony Community Forums and there are so many people posting regards problems with the AndroidOS that I am not almost convinced I would be mad to buy a Sony. In limbo.

D

Deleted member 36193

I'm the same.

No 4k content and not enough broadband to download any - I get about 5 meg and that's enough for me for my normal usage.

I can't find anywhere that will show me Blu Ray (and DVD for that matter) on a 4k panel. if I could see this, my decision might become easier.

I don't need to upgrade yet but fancy a bigger screen, so I may end up going for 4k at the same time.

JINGLE

Novice Member
also in the same situation, planned to buy the Samsung H6400 48" alllll summer but never got around to it.
Now im ready for a new TV, and the deals of black Friday/xmas/January sales around the corner i really want to make my mind up so im ready for when i see the right deal.

should i stick with the Samsung H6400 48" 1080 for around the £500 price or go for the Samsung JU6400 48" 4K for around the £650 price??

or is there something else better than both for around the £500-£700 price range??

Spatt

Novice Member
I believe the Samsung panels are great at the moment and one of my friend has just bought a 48" Samsung HD TV for a bargain.

the only reason ive not been tempted myself is i have been lead to believe for gaming on no other screens compare to the Sony (Panasonic). Something to do with latency? Again i stand to be corrected..

So going back to the OP. It all comes down to budget and circumstances i think, i could afford to spend a little more and get a 4K TV but as i'm moving into my first house and i haven't upgraded my TV in over 5 years (i have an old LG 37") i'm sure i'll be very happy with a smart HD 50" :D

I also believe i'll be getting a really good HD TV, compare to a "mediocre" 4K (if there is such a thing)

Smokeyknight

Novice Member
I believe the Samsung panels are great at the moment and one of my friend has just bought a 48" Samsung HD TV for a bargain.

the only reason ive not been tempted myself is i have been lead to believe for gaming on no other screens compare to the Sony (Panasonic). Something to do with latency? Again i stand to be corrected..

So going back to the OP. It all comes down to budget and circumstances i think, i could afford to spend a little more and get a 4K TV but as i'm moving into my first house and i haven't upgraded my TV in over 5 years (i have an old LG 37") i'm sure i'll be very happy with a smart HD 50" :D

I also believe i'll be getting a really good HD TV, compare to a "mediocre" 4K (if there is such a thing)

Don't worry about input lag on Samsung, check the reviews, samsung were always on top and still perform well. Certainly under 30. That said Sony has caught up now.

rauer

I'm too trying to decide whether to get a 48JU7000 or a 48H6400. I'm all for technological advancement. But is a relatively small 4K TV such as 48'' really an advancement today? A lot of the material is still SD and there's close to nothing available on 4K. I suspect that the HD display will do a better job at displaying SD than UHD. And with the screen size of 48'' I think you'd have to sit 1.5 or max 2 metres from the telly to see the difference between 4K and HD. So I'm inclined to get the H6400, but have the impression that the JU7000 with its direct LED might have fewer problems with screen uniformity.

Last edited:

akonline

Standard Member
Let's be honest, it's all smoke and mirrors. Us the consumer don't have the time or experience to compare fully, plenty of Salespeople don't really know a lot more than us and of the ones that do have a number of different interests at play. My budget was £700 no more. I was looking at the base Sonys primarily as I am not 100% happy with the picture on the Pana 680 that a friend has. I have now been into Richer Sounds and compared the Panas, Sonys, and Samsungs and undoubtedly the difference between all the tellies at the £600 - £700 mark and the more expensive tellies is great. I cannot buy the 48ju6400 now. The 48ju7000 is head and shoulders above it. The only problem is it is £1k currently. Honestly, I think I would be better off waiting until this model comes down in price. Tomorrow's another day though and maybe I will buy the 50ju6800 from Currys. Seems like a good deal and is supposedly as close to the 7 series I am going to get without shelling out all that money and then on the other hand ...

* This assessment obviously assumes that all the tellies were set up the same in Richer Sounds. They had the same feed in and the guy said they were but... :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you don't have to purchase now you may want to ensure you will be HDR compliant with your next Display - What is HDR?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom