Do I need 1080p for 32"?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by denno75uk, Feb 1, 2009.

1. denno75uk

denno75uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    I'm set on 32" set and up til now had pretty much decided on the Panasonic TX32LZD85 at £649 til I saw the Panasonic TX32LZD81 for less money, £579and the Panasonic TX32LZD80 at £529.
    Recently I've been reading that at 32", 1080p isn't really necessary and that SD PQ is actually better on 720 sets and on those lines, have seen the Panasonic TX32LXD80 at only £399, but I'm not fully sure if I'm dipping too low now.
    I don't have any HD sources yet. The most likely first HD purchase would be a Freesat PVR (which is why I'd like to keep the price of the set as low as poss). Am I right in thinking that for HD transmissions, 1080p is unnecessary? I plan on getting an upscaling DVD. How are these at 720p which is what I assume the LXD80 is? And if I got a Bluray, do they look ok at 720? The LXD80 does have 24p playback which I assume will mean smooth frame rates/no judder with Bluray. True?
    Obviously a 720 TV is a significant saving, hence the renewed enthusiasm, but considering the 1080p sets aren't a ridiculous amount more, am I better going for something a bit more future proof? Am I being a bit naive thinking any of these are future proof in this day and age?
    Also, if anyone has any other 32" sets I should consider, please let me know. I currently am getting by on a Toshiba 20W330DB and am pretty happy with PQ, apart from the light bleeding at the edges.

Alot of questions I know. I have looked through the FAQ, especially the stuff by NicolasB on "Does 1080p matter?", but I'm afraid I haven't understood enough from it to be able to confidently answer my own questions.

Cheers in anticipation.

James

2. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    simple answer... is it needed at 32" ? No... unless it is a pc monitor....

3. cozzykim

cozzykim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I agree, my own experience:-

I have a V7 LTV32H which is 1366x768, getting a decent PC picture over VGA and DVI was a total pain with no exact 1:1 pixel matching possible.

BUT - the 720p scaled picture from my Humax HD Freesat box is stunning.

I've just bought a 1080p Tosh 42XV555DB and I must say that the BBC HD quality is not noticeably different, just BIGGER.

However - The PC desktop over HDMI at 1920x1080 with the Tosh's "EXACT SCAN" setting is delicious.

So - If you're not going to use it as a PC monitor then 1080p is not really necessary, having said that 1366x768 TVs are old tech and the price difference isn't that great any longer................so
    :rolleyes: