1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I join the Panasonic club now or...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Desmo, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,769
    ...wait till I move out?

I'm still at home with my parents but am in the process of moving out within the next 6 months. I'll get some usage of the PJ in my room now but it won't be in the ideal position or circumstances.

If I wait until I move then I could get the same PJ either cheaper or a newer model, but having said that I'm sure I'll have more sensible things I should be buying with £1,500 and may not get it at all by then.

What do you guys reckon. Take the plunge now or wait till I move and hope I've got the money spare to buy it then.

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I have spent the last few days looking at various threads on this and other sites and to be honest can't understand why people are buying the Panasonic AE100.

It seems to be a very hit and miss item and the build quality seems dubious.

Is the main reason the cost?

Lets be honest then, for most 16:9 projector you are talking between 3-5K. So 1.5K is a lot less BUT you only get what you pay for.

My advise would be to spar wide from AE100 until Panasonic get their finger out and make it more reliable. If its is so good when its working I am sure you would pay an extra few hundred quid for better reliability!

I am sure there will be people who disagree :)

3. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,769
    Cost is the main reason. Buying a house on my own whilst running a car and a motorbike doesn't leave too much spare to throw at a PJ. Maybe if I wait a few months then any reliability problems will be ironed out and I should still have the cash to play around with.

I just didn't want to move in and then have to toss up between buying something boring like a fridge or washing machine compared to the PJ :)

Maybe I could put some money into a different account and try to forget about it.

4. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Petrolhead,

Have you actually seen an AE100? Have you seen one driven from a HTPC?

If you had, then I think you would understand why some people around here are so excited :D

What would you recommend instead?

--- Dave

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hoglet

I havn't seen the AE100 yet. Wouldn't use it with a PC either

As for recomendations, I know, it's very dificult. I currently run a Sony VPL CS1. Good picture. Like Desmo I was on a budget and got the CS1 for under £1000.

I would love to go true 16:9 and will probable save up and buy the Sony VW11

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I think it very unwise to comment on something you haven;'t seen, you may find it is actually better than your Sony. :p

Ooops, Geneal S has already done A100 against the Sony and said that.......;)

7. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Desmo if its your first home then I would hold back on buying the projector until your settled in to your new home. I remember recently moving into my first new home and its amazing how much you can spend along with costs such as stamp duty/solicitor fees/council tax etc

You can easily go into shops and buy the essentials like
    double bed/duvet/sheets
    cushions/sofa/curtains
    toaster/bread bin/bins/cutlery/cooking pans/crockery
    phone/few plants :)
    etc etc basically a lot of essentials..

and even a few luxurys like
    microwave
    dishwasher
    nice big 28"+ tv for the living room

and come back with a massive bill!. What I did was buy a lot of the items after making a list before we moved in as its amazing the amount of stuff you need, but its easier if you break it down into a large list. I remember my mum being relieved that she had one of her spare bedrooms back when I moved out because it was full of stuff like toasters/microwaves/pans etc!

James

8. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,769
    Well, I'm very lucky in a few respects with getting this house. My parents are covering solicitors fees and stamp duty as this is what they did with my brother and sister so they are doing the same for me.
    I also have a friend who moved out of her flat a while ago and had to put her stuff into storage till her new flat was sorted. Unfortunatley for her the flat didn't go through and now she is living with another friend but her stuff is still in storage, until I move out that is :)
    She said I may as well use it until she is ready to move out again as it saves me buying loads of stuff and saves her paying out for storage. So that gives me a bed, sofa, microwave, etc, etc.

But the other important stuff is already mine. Sony 32" Widescreen, Amp, Speakers, DVD, etc.

I think I'll just wait for a couple of months and once the house stuff is rolling and I know what it's going to cost me mortgage wise then I'll dive in and get the PJ.
    I've wanted one for a while and if I don't get it before I move in then I'm worrying I won't have the spare cash again for a while.

9. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Nic

I think you missed the point. I wasn't getting into a Sony vs Panasonic debate.

Your right, I would need to see it and I am sure, when working :p, is much better than my Sony.

You can't get away from the fact that there is a lot of discusiion about the problems people are having with their AE100s.

I would say that it is a 70/30 chance!

If it was 90% reliable even I would demo one as it seems a great price for a 16:9 projector.

10. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More new projectors coming soon, I'd wait!

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea delta? Like what? :)

12. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,769
    Mmmmm, I may be better off waiting until nearer the time and just make sure I've got money set aside.
    Cheers fro the input fellas.