1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I import from Japan?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by richard plumb, Feb 12, 2002.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    My wife is in Japan at the moment, and with the favourable exchange rate, the PT-AE100 retails at almost exactly half the retail price in the UK. Best price I've found over there is about £790.

My only concern is warranty cover (guessing there won't be any), and cost of repair. I brought over a pioneer DVD player last time and it was bust when it got here. Cost £150 to repair, equivalent to the saving I made. Of course, it was unboxed and surrounded by makeshift packaging consisting of my clothes :)

If I shipped it in its packaging should I be OK? I'd try and ask her to check for dead pixels, but I don't know if she'd know what to look for.

Is the extra layout worth it for peace of mind? It is a big difference, and to think its a super budget model over here too!

2. Retronana

Retronana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194

I hear bubble wrap and foam are all the rage out on the catwalks in Japan at the moment;)

I thought about doing this myself, but as you have found out it has its downfalls:(

It will cost you more to buy one from the UK, find a good Panasonic dealer near to you, go in and enquire, see if they can sort you a demo...its a small price to pay for peace of mind and good customer service:cool:

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I've already demoed one from the local panasonic shop, and this is the projector I'll be getting. Timing was wrong then to keep it, and it had a bright green pixel.

So its just an issue of risk assessment I guess.

Can anyone with insight give me an idea of general issues with long distance shipping, or repair bills? If the lamp broke I could deal with that (£140), but what if something worse happened?

4. Frank2

Frank2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Frequently I have to go to South Korea. This country uses NTSC and the mains voltage is 220V/60Hz.

I don't know the voltage in japan.

In korea in bought a Sony digital video camera and a Sony photo camera. Both were half the price of the duty free shop in the UK.

Of cource, the video camera had to be PAL. So I ordered one and picked it up during the next visit.

Hint:

1. Fly KLM.

2. You fly from Seoul to A'dam, followed by a flight from A'dam to Heathrow. This way Customs Officers won't look for imports (Other than drugs!) and you avoid paying import duty.

3. KLM is much cheaper than flying BA.

By the way, my Sony cameras come with an international warranty certificate. As a result my costs will be limited to P&P when I claim warranty repairs.

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    Japan is 100V, but the projector has a worldwide power supply (and i have a big stepdown for my DVD player and consoles)