1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have to use Digital in/out to get 5.1 surround?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by UoTegne, Dec 29, 2002.

1. UoTegne

UoTegne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse me for this newbie question but the last time I had any sort of surround sound setup it was part of a Pace Sky dish setup about 5 years ago and things have moved on a bit!

I'm about to buy my first Amp. Probably a SONY STRDE585 or DE685. I know it may not be the best amp for the money but I can get one for a good price without having to travel to the end of the earth.

My question is this:

I'm not sure whether the Dolby Surround Information is carried on the standard Stereo Left/Right connections or is only on the Digital Connections. That is to say do I have to use the Digital In/Out connections on my DVD/SKY box to enable the 5.1 surround sound or will it still work if I simply use the standard Stereo Left/Right input/ouput connections that are on these devices too?

TIA

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Dolby Pro-Logic is carried using normal L/R phono connections as it is an analogue format, Dolby Digital and DTS require a digitial co-axial or optical connection. Be aware that, unless you're using a Sky + box, Sky does not carry DD or DTS, oly Pro-Logic. You will, of course, need a digital connection for using a DVD player with your amp.

:)

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The most that you will get from using the analogue phono outputs is Dolby Pro Logic. If you want 5.1 from your DVD you will need to connect it via a digital co-axial or optical connection to the amp.

4. UoTegne

UoTegne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response guys.

I noticed that my Sky box only has an Optical Digital out connection but from what you're saying I'll be just as well using the standard Stereo out Connections as I won't get any benefit from using the Digital Connection (If it even works!)

The amp is a Prologic II jobby so maybe it'll work it's wizardry on the standard Prologic signal to give a better surround attempt than Prologic I.

I read on the FAQ here somewhere that people recomment the coax digital connections as theres less electronikery to convert from optical->digital. That suits me fine as the cables are cheaper and I have a budget!

Then i just need to save up for Sky+ which looks very tempting...

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi,

Now I'm confused :confused: What make/model is your Sky digibox? I thought you only got a digital audio output on the Pace Sky+ digibox. You would still get better sound quality in letting your amp do the digital to analogue conversion rather than using the phono stereo outputs from your digibox. You would also benifit from the Dolby Digital 5.1 films that Sky broadcast - only if you subscribe to them of course :p Hope this helps.

Steve

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    5.1 sound is only available with Sky Plus boxes.

Some ordinary digiboxes have a digital connector but you can't get 5.1 sound through it and I am not even sure whether you can get any sound at all.

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for that. I knew that only the Pace Sky+ box outputted 5.1 - I couldn't recall which other boxes have an optical output. Now I've remembered that the Sony box has, but as you say, I don't think they were allowed by Sky to have it enabled :( Nice one Sky - doh!

Steve