Do I have to subscribe to Tivo to record to disk?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by DaveP, Feb 12, 2002.

Tags:
  1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a couple of hundred quid burning a hole in my pocket but I cannot afford yet another standing order of £10 per month.

Can I plug my Sky digibox into the Tivo and record programs manually?

Ta

Dave

2. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only for two weeks during the grace period, and then without a valid subscription the TiVo will go into "Boat Anchor mode" with limited functionlity - just the 30 mins of buffer (no EPG, no recording etc.)

You can set up repeating manual recordings during the grace period and these will continue after you enter Boat Anchor mode. But only if you're desperate ;)

3. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TiVo service is well worth the subscription and there are some new goodies to come soon. Even better is the life subscription. Try TiVo for a couple of months and then if you are happy with it send in a life subscription.

4. ISCM

ISCM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What happens if or when TiVo go bust. No one would buy a video that only operated while the company that made it existed.
    I can understand subscribing for extra functionality, but the basic functions should work without any subscriptions.
    :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,611
    TIVO are unlikely to go bust when you consider the number of units sold worldwide. The community is thriving (look at the dedicated TIVO forums via the AVS Forums). If they did go bust, there would be a big provision for existing customers (like when DIVX ceased).

6. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why? The box is sold to you at significantly below cost, TiVo are subsidising the cost of the unit on the back of anticipated subscription fees. If the box was fully functional without the subcription (and hence without TiVo getting a return on it's subsidy) then TiVo would, in pretty short order, disappear. Sky+ is the same - no subscription, no recording facilities (it's just acts as a fancy STB).

If TiVo ever did go bust then I'm confident that customers would not be left with a disabled box - at the very least manual recordings would be re-enabled. I'm sure that an enterprising third-party would appear offering EPG data. There are a large number of people who have hacked TiVo - many people know what makes it tick and should TiVo disappear there are plenty to fill the void.

7. bumper31

bumper31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    eg. The JVC VCR\Hard Disk recorder. This will do what you want but you are looking to pay 800 sobs for the privelage. And no EPG.

After lurking, the comments about TIVO were so enormously positive I got myself one. just learning the ropes but I feel as tho I can't live without it already!