1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have to match the centre speaker with the front speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mivvi, Jul 16, 2003.

1. mivvi

mivvi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I am planning to purchase some new speakers, I intend to go for the B+W DM601 S3's for the front and something similar for the rear. When enquiring about these speakers at Audio Excellence, I was told that I should really use a centre speaker that was the same make as the front speakers. So was advised to go for a B+W LCR60 but find it's too big to go under the screen. Would it ruin the whole effect if I shopped around for something a bit smaller? Also any suggestions would be great, thanks!

2. me_too

me_too

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would say in a word yes! in a perfect world,
    in a surround sound setup the ideal is that each speaker produces the same spl and spaced an equal distance away from the listening position. basically if you buy a centre speaker from the same manufacture you are buying what they have ideally designed to match a stereo pair. this centre speaker will include the same characteristics such as the pair such as SPL produced and a close match to the frequency response. (if designed correctly!!). so if you are very concerned about the quality of the sound reproduction i think a bit of furniture altiration is in order :)

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    You will find that most centers don't mach anyway,they have smaller drivers smaller boxes and placed closer to the floor than your fronts.When i changed my center to the mission from a cheepo none matching one it did make a big diference,but i can still ear the difference.For the perfect match you would need all three front speakers to be the same.And as for the spl of a given speaker that won't be the same either thats why the levels can be altered.I'm shure someone as the same speakers you have,really you need their input.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm with bob on this one, i tend to question whether matching a dedicated centre is really worth it. By all means try, but i suspect this is an area where you need to demo various speakers to find a match. Of course, as bob said, if you use identical speakers for the front 3 (or all 6 as i do) you likely have the best chance of things matching.

Ad

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have the floor space (ie using a Plasma or front projection) then going for a identical speaker as the l/r's is a good idea.. however for most people with TV's a horizontal centre has to be used.

Matching is pretty important, but if I had the choice of choosing a really good but not matching speaker- or a poor sounding but matching speaker; I would got for the first option.

I have a dedicated matching centre, as I don't have a the space for a single Model 2.2 for the centre only. Seems fine, panning has been improved since replacing the non-matching Q75 to the same range as the centre (200)

6. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello mivvi,

I used to use those very speakers (601 S3's) and I found another 601 for the centre channel to be much better than the LCR-60.

B&W give prices for individual units on their web site, so I'm sure you could buy just the one.

This solution would also take up less space width wise, if you were to do as I did and turn the speaker on it's side.

SMP

7. mivvi

mivvi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your response! Well it looks like I will have to see if I can accommodate the B+W centre speaker. Im not really up for demos in a shop, as I really need to demo for a couple of days to get the feel for it. So it's time to chisel out some of the stone fire place! And move the plasma up on the wall by a few inches. Thanks again for all of your help.

8. me_too

me_too

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mivvi,
    hope that all goes well and at the end of the day your happy with your set up, as that is the most important thing! keep us posted.
    me