do i have to have credit card

daveblade

Established Member
Reaction score
i have looked for some info but unable to find and i wanna go live this week
when i do so do i have to give credit card details as i only use switch cards and dont want to use a credit card at all as i go daft so i cleared my card and cut it up dont like to use money i dont have
also if i just go and buy a 12 month sub to play will this do as thats what i want to be able to do or do you have to give details of your credit card when you first go live
thanks for the hepl as see you all soon on live
daveblade:confused:

Hi

I'm pretty sure you can use debit cards but there is definitely no way of signing up without registering some kind of payment card.

Steve

I use a Barclays Connect debit card (Delta) so you can probably use your switch card.

Also I thought you could buy the pre-paid Live memberships with the scratch-off code numbers? Surely no card would be needed at all then? Can't confirm this though as although I have used such a pre-paid Live membership successfully, I originally created my account years ago with my debit card...

stevelup said:
Hi

I'm pretty sure you can use debit cards but there is definitely no way of signing up without registering some kind of payment card.

Steve
Are you sure about that? because I have yet to register a card on my 360 but I am happily playing away on Live.

All I did was create a gamertag, start the 1 month Gold trial and then before it finished I bought an XBox Live Starter Kit and used the scratch card to get 12 months subscription.

daveblade, you have two methods mate.

You can use your debit or credit card to register a new Live subscription directly via your 360.
You might not need to do this straight away if you get your first month free with one of those deals.

The alternative is to buy a Live subscription from a shop, you can get them from all game shops and places like HMV, Woolworths etc too.
They look just like games, so you'll find them in the games section and I think you can buy a 12 month one for about £40.
Here's an example of one from play.com : http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=sr&page=title&r=X360&title=860394
Once you've bought that, it'll give you a code which you can enter on your 360 and validate your Live account. This way you won't need to use any sort of card.

Hope it helps! Your 360 is only really a 180 until you get Live :thumbsup:

I know you said you dont like credit cards, but to be honest I never give switch details out over the interenet as I am liable if it goes wrong (well not totally, but there is less cover than on a credit card). My advice is to ask for a smaller limit on your card and for them NOT to increase it. Set up DD to clear balance. This will also have a postive effect on your credit history.

I know of cases where accounts have been emptied becuase of account details being known through the interenet.

Whatever you do dont pay £40 for the XBox 360 12 Month Gold Subscription as its a rip off.

The best thing to do is to get an original XBox Live Starter Kit which comes with game, headset and 12 month Live. They are available for between £20-35 and are much better value for money because you can sell on the game and headset, I did this and ended up with 12 months Live for just over £10

thanks for all the info i will see you all on line soon
top people on a top forum site
thanks again
dave blade:smashin:

you need to give card details all the time. Even when yo buy a new XB live card. They ask for your card details, so that it re-subscribes after a year. I set up my gamertag on the original xbox, and payment card details were compulsory.

On the Xbox and old Live service you had to register a credit card to set up an account, but one of the features of the new Live service is you don't need this, so it's more accessible.

I migrated what was left to the 360 and it carried my credit card details over, but since using a new 12 month code there is no prefilled renewal method, i.e. on the old Xbox you had to chose either a monthly or yearly renewal and unless you cancelled it first or input a new 12 month code you would be charged accordingly.

mjpartyboy said:
On the Xbox and old Live service you had to register a credit card to set up an account, but one of the features of the new Live service is you don't need this, so it's more accessible.

I migrated what was left to the 360 and it carried my credit card details over, but since using a new 12 month code there is no prefilled renewal method, i.e. on the old Xbox you had to chose either a monthly or yearly renewal and unless you cancelled it first or input a new 12 month code you would be charged accordingly.

OK, i set mine up on original xbox, where you needed a payment card, i didnt realise you didnt need a payment card to create an xbox live account on 360

I just love debit cards over credit cards, because you don't get extra interest. But I think you can sign up with out a credit card or debit card last time i checked mate.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom