1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have a leg to stand on? Long post!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Dan110, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully somebody can give me some advice on this! I bought a Toshiba 42wt29 6 weeks ago from Comet with the 5 year warranty on it and over the past few weeks I'm just finding more and more little niggles with it that I don't like and basically I want my money back or a different TV altogether. I just think that for £1800 pounds you should be happy with what you paid for and to be honest i'm not! Firstly when I had the TV delivered and read the manual I read that screenburn is a major problem with these RP tvs and sky digital broadcasts with bright logos and games consoles were not recommended as they can cause screenburn which is not covered by the warranty. So now i'm avoiding playing games on the tv and watching certain sky channels because i'm conscious of screenburn. Next I noticed that there are black vertical lines on the far left of the screen about 6 inchs in and another just right of the centre of the screen where the colours appear to be to be slightly different shades either side of the lines, especially noticeable in dark films like seven and blade 2. Now in the last few days i've noticed that when the cameras in films moves up and down eg. when the camera is moving from ground floor to first floor in American pie 2 when the guy is peeing off the balcony as the camera moves up there is like a ripple horizontly across the screen at the bottom where the image goes wobbly and out of focus until the camera stabalizes and it becomes normal again. Its hard to describe but it is like a ripple across the bottom of the screen and its noticeable during credits when the text is moving from the bottom of the screen to the top there a definate ripple where the text moves out of focus until it get over this 'ripple' in the screen and then goes normal again. This ripple is about 6-8'' from the bottom of the screen.
    I know they may not seem like major problems but I'm just not happy with it and I wasn't made aware of any of the problems when I bought the TV and handed over my money so what can I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure but I think you have 14days where you can return the set for a replacement or get a refund if not satisfied, as the 14days are up and your into the 7th week I think the next step would be to call the engineer out. When the engineer calls he should have some idea on these problems, if it turns out that the set is at fault from my experiences you enter a 28day period where the set has to be fixed, if the set is not fixed within 28days you now have the right to ask for a replacement/different make/model, don't know if you can get a refund, but I think you can.

Screenburn, this use to worry the hell out of me, but as times gone on it's not a big issue anymore, I still watch channels with logos on, just turn the contrast and brightness down a bit, that helps. For what I call normal viewing I don't think screen burn is an issue, only if you are watching the same channel with the same logo on week in week out. Games I think are a bit different, these can have large and very bright static areas which can lead to screen burn if playing on them for hours and hours, so I think limiting your time on the games is recommended, but don't stop playing them.

Hope you get it sorted. :)

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Firstly, did you purchase online ? If so i believe distance selling regulations provide 30 days to pull out of the contract.

4. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the Tv was purchased from the superstore, not online.

5. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for you replys guys, after a few hours this morning experimenting with the Tv I made a few discoveries. First I had my dvd player outputting RGB from scart AV1 but found that my dvd player was attached to the TV from AV2! Switched the scart to AV1 and found the picture quality to be much improved, colours a lot more striking and detail is much better. Secondly, I made a few changes in the brightness and contrast and the vertical black bars are hardly noticeable now only really noticeable on black screens like credits ect. so i'm much more happy with that now and the picture looks superb. Lastly and most important, the horizontal ripple effect I noticed at the bottom of the screen disappears when I change from 16:9 mode to super live or cinema mode which is strange? Any ideas on why this happens? Anyway, I have started another thread to see what the general opinions are on super live and cinema modes because using these picture modes with my other little changes made this morning result in a much improved image and a much happier owner! Do you guys have any thoughts on super live or cinema modes compared with conventional 16:9 mode?

Thanks again

6. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,826
    Just a quick thought - did you tell the salesman you wanted to play games on your TV? If so, they've sold you something that does not meet your requirements under the Sale of Goods act and you can reasonably request a refund.

7. Ray Von

Ray Von

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dan just out of interest what was the quality of games like on this tv ?

was it blocky or was the picture acceptable, I want a 42 inch tv to use with my ps2 but I've heard that rptvs are no good for this.

thks

8. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ray Von:

PS2 & X Box both look really great on the tv, not blocky at all in my opinion. I just have my reservations about how long to spend playing games on the TV without risk of screenburn.

9. Ray Von

Ray Von

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    interesting, I've heard that a lot of people think RPTV's are poor when it comes to games consoles - saying that CRT are the only way to fly ???

I'm very confused now as to get one or not , bearing in mind it will be for PS2 mainly and then dvds ???

I wouldn't worry about the screen burn issue I read on a post that someone broke there leg and played Ps2 all day for 6 weeks and there was never an issue - I think providing you dont have the contrast and brightness too high you should be ok - but I'm not an expert.

Have you got any pics of what a console looked like on the screen by any chance??

10. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No pics although i don't think it will be a problem taking some and posting them later if you like.

11. Ray Von

Ray Von

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeh that would be really appreicated , like you I dont want to spend best part of £1500 if its not going to be right.

I would like to guage the quality as I'm not sure yet.

if you need my email address I can private message you

cheers Dan