Do i have a faulty sd card

andsaw

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a few week old micro sd card, a PNY 16gb class 10, i put the card into an adapter and opened the files and could see all files recorded from an SJ cam, i was playing one video and went towards the end of the video (3 minute size) and the picture froze but the slider kept going so i stopped the video and when i disconnected and reconnected the adapter from the PC i got the this can perform faster in another USB socket, then got the box to open files and found this picture, the box is when i tried opening one of the files, can someone tell me has the PC corrupted the card or the card directly.

Attachments

• card.png
    card.png
    208.5 KB · Views: 80
iv'e never liked PNY memory cards ( a personal thing ) i bought a pack of three 8gb sd cards from pc world / currys some time ago and 2 out of the 3 were faulty from new

it does indeed look like the card has become corrupted, you could try some recovery software to try and recover the files but first port of call would be to try another card reader
in my experience not all card readers / adaptors are made equal and some are just cheap / flimsy things that are usually bundled with the micro sd card

Im using a Siyoteam sy-631 reader and its the best one i have used, i have reformatted in cam and see what happens.

Im using a Siyoteam sy-631 reader and its the best one i have used, i have reformatted in cam and see what happens.

one of these card readers ?

https://www.ishine-trade.com/SIYOTEAM-SY-631-5-in-1-Universal-USB-2.0-Plastic-Card-Reader

if the card does the same thing again i think i would bin it and maybe go for one of these

SanDisk Ultra A1 16GB XC Micro SD Memory Card

although i do like these for value for money

Toshiba 16GB M302 MicroSD UH3 Ultra High Speed with Adaptor

That's the card reader, i have a feeling the front USB connector on my pc is a bit dodgy, when i connect my car cam (Mobius cam) in the front USB i cant open the the program to do the settings on it but if i put the rear USB it works ok, i have some disc errors and controller errors in the windows logs, will see if i can find anything on the errors on the web.

There are a number of fake SD cards out there. Pretending that a 2 Gb is a 32 GB etc... People can rewrite the internal memory table in the chip and re silk screen the card. A computer or camera will in good faith format the card and think it's fine and will write data happily to it. But unless there is a physical location to store the data , it goes into limbo....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom