1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have a dodgy TV?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Miyazaki, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I bought a 28" crt from Panisonic about 2 years ago, with a 5 year warranty. It was an ex-display tv. I have had it returned 3 times already, the first time because the onboard dts decoder was knackered. It has gone back since because of a faulty tube which has been replaced. It has gone back recently because the digitial sound cuts in and out and "pops" occasionally, especially on xbox. Although they say they couldn't find a fault that time.

I don't know whether I am being finnicky as I don't know a great deal about tvs, but when it is on, but no picture, IE a black screen, the picture seems to be cut in half vertically down the middle, the left half a considerably lighter black than the right half.

Is this normal?

I haven't noticed it before, and am not sure if it is a fault or not, and don't want it going back twice without any detectable fault.

Also isn't it a statuatory right or whatever you call it, that if something "breaks" 3 times you can have a replacement unit?

I just don't want it going back to the engineer frequently, and I will be annoyed if it carries on developing faults after the 5 year warranty period is up.

Also are faults common on ex-display crt tvs?

Many thanks.

2. ScootermanRoger

ScootermanRoger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just addressing this last point, in view of the fact that many problems occur within the first few minutes of initial switch-on, there is a school of thought that says an ex-demo TV has "survived" that, and that it could therefore be more reliable.
    The down-side of this is that the tube could be "imprinted" with any long term displayed on-screen logos, although your "left half of screen considerably lighter black than the right half" sounds like something completely different, associated somehow with the line scan.

3. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Under the first (manufactuers) years warrenty you need to accept reasonable repair, but a extended warrenty will have different terms dependant on each contract.
    The blackness should be solid black but very few TVs will be perfect.
    Nigel

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Cheers guys.

So can I assume that the light black/ dark black is normal?