1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I Have a dead pixel?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by monsta2003, Nov 17, 2003.

1. monsta2003

monsta2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently purchased a AE200, it had to go back because it had a dead pixel (it came with a dead pixel check). It had a bright red pixel slightly off center that was very distracting.

Im not sure if the replacement has a dead pixel or not. There is a pixel which is barely visible on black or white but has, when showing green or blue colours has what apears to be a "halo" of green light around it. When standing close up it doesnt look the same as the red one i had. The red pixel was a solid colour. This appears to be light around the pixel, but not the center of it itself.

Im dubious about getting the unit "replaced" for another one, as im suspecting that the whole batch may have very minor flaws, and at the moment im happy with the unit on the whole and dont want to risk getting another unit which may have some other flaw.

The pixel in question is about 4/5ths of the way from the top and probably 1/10th of the way in from the left hand side. Played a lot of Mario Karts over the weekend and less i looked for it it never distracted. Also watched dog soldiers and only once did I notice it, and I was probably looking for it.

So is this a dead pixel? Do you think a unit that comes with a dead pixel check should be totaly flawless and I should request another unit untill one is delivered with a totaly clear screen?

2. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Apparently there are variations as to what constitutes acceptability with dead and/or stuck picels. In some cases 1 or more of a certain colour is deemed acceptable. Other colours less so as they are more distracting. This is generally from the manufacturers rather than retailers.

If you are getting a dead pixel check from a reputable retailer then it should come without any dead or stuck pixels. I would ring the retailer and check with their customer service and ask for a replacement.

A dead pixel check should not mean "Oh look only one dead pixel, lets send this one out then".

Chris

3. tonyeck

tonyeck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this sounds almost exactly the same as what happened last night with my ae200! I noticed a green "halo." Thought it was a dead pixel so rang Digital Direct UK (the supplier) and they are sending me a new one in 2 days

4. tonyeck

tonyeck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also played mario kart all weekend.... maybe its connected ;)

5. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if its a halo . it might be dust try defocusing if it becomes sharp when the image is blurred then its dust if its sharp when the image is focused then its a pixel

6. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    sounds like dust to me very easy to clean if it is, and if your very carefull they wont even know youve opened it

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He seems to imply it's pixel sized - unlikely it's dust if it's that small.

More like a "lazy" or "misfiring" pixel. If it's not visible from viewing distance I'd keep it.

8. monsta2003

monsta2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys guys, its definately only "around" one pixel. So this leads me to think its not dust, wouldnt it be very coincedental for it to be this size/shape/position?

Can anybody define, or point ot a defination of the difference between dead and lazy and always on and always off pixels. I thought i knew the terminology but now im not so sure.

It is visable from viewing distance, but only on certain colours, and only if you look for it. As its in the corner(ish) though it doesnt distract really. I would like a perfect unit (if they exist) so am going to contact the suplier.

9. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
  10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely not dust.

Lazy or misfiring pixels are, well, just that. Not dead or permanently lit - somewhere in between. Only visible on some colours (certain shades of grey are the best, or worst :)) at showing them.

Up to you as to whether or not it's acceptable.

:smoke:

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More "digital camera" than "digital projector" :)

Sounds like one of the green pixels is "lazy" in this situation, probably lighting 30/40% more light throughput than it should under certain conditions/colours.

Chances are that it'll also show up in the green service menu screen as a slightly brighter pixel.

Again, your decision as to whether it's acceptable.

12. monsta2003

monsta2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link Chris

Kramer, it does sound like a lazy pixel, and though not obvious (dont think on of my flat mates has even noticed it) I do know its there and it is on my mind.

13. monsta2003

monsta2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats exactly what happens, so should this class as a dead pixel and hence be replaced, or does this sort of thing happen often with lcd projectors.

14. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would definitely drive me crazy too :(

Well, if you've paid for a pixel check I'd definitely get back to your supplier - you'll get a perfect one eventually, I promise :)

15. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't happen too often (thankfully). About the same frequency as dead/hot pixels I'd say.

Theoretically, it's not dead or stuck, but definitely isn't as it should be.

Call your supplier & say you're not happy - take it from there.

Best of luck :)

16. monsta2003

monsta2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An update

I decided I couldnt live with the green pixel, it really was always on my mind and it had to go. Unfortunately the supplier, discount electrical, had non left so they offered me a refund or an upgrade to a AE300 for a very reasonable price (reduction on there normal price which is alredy very good). They ran the unit for 4 hrs as id expressed my concern at getting another "troublesome" unit. Well the new unit arrived on Wednesday and what can I say, WOW. Haha i know thats what everyone says at first but wow, it really is superb, the differnece between this and the AE200 is really noticable, colours richer, detail finer NO screendooor, image dosent appear soft to me, dvd, sky gamecube, ps2 hey all look stunning. Finding Nemo is rediculous, the pannings smooth, detail amazing, contrast lovely, and the unit isnt even aimed at a screen yet or anything. Footie on sky was a noticable improvement, where red shirts before used to "fizz" theyre now solid.

Couldnt be happier, yep im sure more expensive units deliver an even better image, but really, this is better than my nice 28" crt so, well, I wasnt expecting that.

The supplier gave excellent service, the unit gives an excellent performance, one happy camper :)