1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I go TFT?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Daftboy, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi all,

Let me tell you what I have got and what I want to replace it with. :boring:

I currenlty have the pleasure of owning an Ilyama Provision Master 510 22" CRT Flatscreen monitor. Beautiful screen matched by impressive resolutions.

I really want to replace the screen with a TFT monitor 19" upwards to give me back more desk space.

Can anyone recommend a good TFT monitor that has a fast enough repsone time to play games?

I use to use my 28" TFT AV monitor, but the response time and viewing angles were very poor. :thumbsdow

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    I use the Philips 150S4 TFT for my PC, it's smaller than you're after (15inch) but they do larger versions of the same monitor I think. I've always been pretty chuffed with this TFT, it doesn't suffer from motion blur/colour bleed as I think alot of them do. Probably my only gripe is the viewing angle, if you are not sitting directly infront of the screen the colour loss is strong.
    Would be interested to hear what you go for as I'd like to upgrade to a larger screen myself in the near future.

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    yup ive had a 15" TFT since last october. use my pc for browsing and gaming and ive never looked back. colour's beautiful, contrast Ratio Excellent And i sit right in front so viewing angles have never been a problem. i think mine has a 16ms response time and ive never seen any motion blur or anything like that! played alot of diff games as well :) go 4 it u will say "why didnt i do this sooner" hehe

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    just dont go for anything that has a response time higher than 16ms .
    newer screens have 12ms which is where your money should be as at that speed motion artefacts will be totaly absent on fast moving games. plus they will be latest generation screens.

As usual the bigger u go the more likly lag will be.

Go for the best brightness and a contrast ratio no lower than 500:1

Only then will you match a top flight CRT, which are still better but just flippin huge

Oh and last point make sure its native res can support 1280x1024. anything less isnt good enough.

5. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    hummmmm
    my best advice would be to keep that amazing montior you already have
    maybe buy a biger desk for a fraction of the price of a tft ?
    honestly, you wont get better than what you have for gaming

6. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Agreed with Solar.

I have yet to see a TFT get remotely close to a CRT for contrast.

Not only that I couldnt stand the motion blur associated with lcd.

I play a lot of online gaming and TFT just would not be good enough for me.

If youre selling yo Iiyama then I will buy off you - £10 ok? :laugh:

7. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had a tft and lived with it for a while but that was only because i wasnt gaming alot, now im gaming again, i went straight back to a crt and flogged the tft.
    if your a major gamer then stick with your crt, itll be worth the desk space just for the performance slash from a tft.
    could you maybe think about a slightly smaller crt, one of the half chassis ones?
    (i dunno what the proper name of thee monitors are but there about half size of normal crt screens)

8. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the replies all.

To be honest, I don't really want to get rid of the monitor, but the other half is putting preasure on me to get rid of it. :censored:

Anyway, I think I will re-arrange my desk space and put the 28" LCD downstairs. :D

I've one of these awkward L shaped desk, which is very nice, but one side of the desk has a cabinet on it.

Hard to explain so I will take a picture tonight a post.
    Once I have the picture up, any advice on how to sort out the space will be very much appreciated as I am useless when it comes to furniture organisation.

Regarding the purchase of a TFT, I think I will hang back till Xmas when the prices will drop on the larger screens, and hopefully the specs will improve.

BTW - Very generous offer for the monitor :suicide: but I think I will keep it for the moment, maybe for the kids :laugh:

Cheers all..............

9. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,793
    I've posted this before in another thread a while ago....

-----------------------

Well, I finally got a Prolite E511 20.1" TFT Monitor from dabs.com for £703.82. You can see it at http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.htm?quicklinx=30XG

I've got it connected to my Radeon 9800 Pro thru a DVI cable.

It does res up to 1600 x 1200, 16ms response time, and a contrast ration of 400:1

And as best as I can tell, there are no dead pixels!

I'm very happy with this, although for some reason Far Cry is a bit juddery at 1600 x 1200....

I haven't tried a DVD in it yet, but when playing Far Cry and Dungeon Siege the screen doesn't show any sign of ghosting. The brightness seems pretty even, and even blacks look reasonably black.

Desktop use is quite frankly superb. Solid, bright, clear colours and its much easier on the eyes than my old 22" CRT. It's actually much easier to use at the highest resolution too because I can place it right in front of the keyboard, unlike with my old CRT which had to be pushed back into a corner - which was further away, and I had to sit at an angle on my desk to see it straight on.

I highly recommend this bit of kit.

----------

A slight update. The brightness in the bottom right hand corner is slightly more than the rest of the screen. This is only visible when the screen is very dark if you really look for it. It doesnt affect games playing at all.

Occasionally in Far Cry I get some dots shimmering on the screen. This doesn't happen in other games, only in Far Cry. It always seems to be at at the edge of something on the screen and is not in the same physical place on the screen. I suspect its something to do with the antialiasing from the graphics card / engine, and not the monitor. I haven't got my CRT any more to test this suspicion though.

Still, I would still highly recommend this kit.

10. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I went from the Mistubishi 22" to a Dell 20.1" TFT. Its rated at 25ms but seems better than that and I don't really notice any bluring but general opinion is that its down to the viewers eyesite. The new dell's & viewsonics have a response time of 16ms and default resolution of 1600x1200.

Maybe as I don't play Quake at 125fps anymore has dulled my feelings but I've played UT 2004,Quake 3,CoD,MOHAA,Far Cry and they all seem fine. Some people think the 'tearing' becomes less noticable over time.

Blacks are not black but for me the overall gains of the TFT (space & look - I find my eyes strain less on TFT than my old CRT) mean I wouldn't go back to CRT now. Only problem with bigger 1600x1200 tft's is the price!

11. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
  12. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dell 2001FP, 20.1", 1600 x 1200, 16ms, £495. Won't buy a CRT ever again.

13. digitalsafari

digitalsafari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Just ordered Apple's new 30inch 2560x1600 16ms monster for work.

The dual 2.5GHz G5 Mac will be driving it with the Apple modded Nvidia 6800 which has 2 x dual link DVI and can drive 2 30inchers - nice.

I am looking forward to a PC X800 or 6800 card offering a compatible dual link DVI.

The new DVI-D 20 and 23inch Apple displays are now much more PC compatible and don't need the adaptor the old screens needed and work with normal DVI-D.

14. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    most 19" tft's aren't worth getting for games, a friend at work has one and he gets annoyed at ghosting in windows, let alone games. Plus a 19" TFT can't generally do 1600x1200 which i would find unacceptable.

15. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I have a Hercules 920 ProView, one of the best 17" TFTs you can buy.

It has been perfect for gaming and I have had any detoriation in my gaming experience :)

16. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    I assume you mean "haven't", Sinzer ;)

Its a bit of a generalised statement to say even a 19" monitor isn't worthy of games, and I don't think I've ever played a game at 1600x1200, so that wouldn't really bother me. It all depends how much you can afford and how 'hardcore' you are.

The fact that I have to sit right up to the screen of my 19" CRT because the chassis butts against the wall and my desk is only so big has finally :censored: me off enough to make me consider buying a TFT too. My funds can only really stretch to a 17", though, so I've been looking at the LG range in particular. This any good? Is it really the bargain it seems for a 16ms LCD?

Dabs website LG L1715S 17" TFT monitor

17. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Umm yes I mean haven't. :)

Don't be fooled by the ms ratings, check out Tomshardware for a good review of lots of TFTs. This is the review of the one I bought

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20031105/lcd-08.html

They rate the Hydis screens as still being the best for games playing.

I find the clarity to be excellent. The colour can sometimes be a little less vibrant than CRT, but the lack of fuzziness makes up for that I find. You can detect slight ghosting if you purposely spin the mouse on really high sensitivity in the most ridiculous angles possible.

I can play on this monitor for hours with UT2004 and not have any noticeable difference between my Hercules and my old Viewsonic except that my eyes do not hurt/water from CRT radiation. Oh and also the far more comfy set up of my desk due to the saved space.

18. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,793
    I find it much more comfortable to sit at my PC for extended periods now. It's nothing to do with eye strain (although the TFT screen is definitely better for that). I can place my TFT screen at the back of my desk directly in front of the keyboard. And I can sit straight-on at my desk.

I never really realised until now how uncomfortable I'd been in the past with the screen at an angle to me & the keyboard.

So get a TFT screen, your back/neck and eyes will thank you (even if your wallet won't).

19. fade

fade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not really,

Good LCDs basically fall into 2 categories

1)great image quality / sacrificing refresh
    2)sacrifice in image quality / great refresh

Personally I have the 2001FP , 20.1", 1600x1200, 16ms response.I can play quake3 (very fast paced) with this screen and hardly notice it is an LCD (so long as it's running in native resolution.)

Downside is that there is a slight screendoor effect, better quality monitors exist for colour and image reproduction, but none with such nippy refresh. It's an 8/10 for image, 9.5/10 for refresh.

Im sure there are plenty of fast 19" TFTs if you look, of course, they probably won't have the best picture quality, and the ones with the best picture quality (colours, vibrancy etc) won't have the best refresh.

20. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,757
    Interesting thread this, as I'm going through the same decision process myself.
    I've never run a game at higher than 1024x768 !

21. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Me too - i want to move away from my 21" compaq monitor but have tried a 15" panel and found it way too small. Im looking for at least 18" or above, but they get pricey..

22. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Ok, I think I've finally reached a decision. After reading Toms Hardware Guide (ta Sinzer for the link), I realised you're always going to have to sacrifice something with a TFT, and me being a gamer, I decided I needed a good refresh rate.

The 17" BenQ FP767-12 seems to be good enough to handle most games, and while not perfect, it has a 12ms refresh rate and a good review. Not bad for £270 at Ebuyer. I've noticed reviews often indicating that the larger screens find it harder to refresh (save for the near £1000 screens), and so a 17" can maintain performance for much less cash (I'd prefer to spend it on a graphics card).

Thanks all for the advice, has been v useful.

23. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for all your help folks. :thumbsup:

It's been a great topic and pleanty of advice ready for the purchase.

Tonight I will take a picture of the desk and ask you all for your opinions.

I'm gonna have to wait until Xmas as I've just got the wife's CC bill :eek: so with having kids, I'm gonna have to wait till then.

Oh Santa baby, bring me a TFT monitor please........ :devil:

24. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Definately stick with 17" TFT, currently above that the larger screens are still struggling with the main issues TFTs have. Besides I have to play at a native resolution of 1280x960 at 17" and even my 9800Pro struggles with that on some games (ie farcry :p).

25. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    I didn't realise til today that CRTs and TFTs actually use different measurement systems for screen size. CRT apparently are actual screen size, but TFTs are viewable size. A quoted 19" CRT is approx a 17.5" viewable area, and so roughly equivalent to a 17" TFT. That means I won't be taking much of a screen size cut with my new TFT atall! :thumbsup:

26. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Okay gang......It's a bit messy I know, but any suggestions on how we go about this?
    Remember, that big screen on the right could be used as a monitor, but I do like my CRT.....What suggestions on organisation do we have until I can afford a nice TFT? :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

27. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,793
    My god.

Suggestion #1 is to get the House Doctor in. Clutter overload!!!

Seriously though, you need to make some room. Can you put shelves up above your desk?

Suggestion #2. Maybe get a longer printer cable and move the printer somewhere else in the room?

Suggestion #3. Your current monitor position looks VERY uncomfortable. Extended play is going to see your neck being stuck twisted to the left, and this will cause some aches & pains. Ideally you want your body, keyboard/mouse and screen to be in a straight line. The only way I can see that you can accomodate that is to move the printer, put your screen there and then position the keyboard/mouse and chair in front of it. I can't tell from your pic whether those cupboards would get in the way though.

P.S. Nice calendar! :thumbsup:

28. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Cheers for the reply Squiffy.

The house doctor doesnt' want to get involved with this. I'd reather leave her to sort out the other rooms.

I'm kinda thinking along your lines of having shelves. You can see on the right of the picture shelves of software and music, it's also spread all over the desk.
    Once I get all of that onto shelves, I can then free up a little more desk space and give the bookcase to my lad for storing his DVD's and toy's on.

If you look under the desk, it's full of junk, most of which is going to be sent to the car boot his weekend, freeing up more space, and then I will get a little trolly for the printer and stick it under there.

Now, where the printer is, I currently can't fit the monitor there as the back of it stick's out to much (Sounds like an ex), so I was thinking of removing the shelves on the right , placing the monitor in the corner, getting another cabinet for the LCD, Xbox and freeview box, loosing the middle part of the desk where the keyboard is sat and having a little pull out table that I can rest the keyboard and stuff on.
    Hard to explain, so I will try to do a drawing.

The other idea was to ditch the CRT (No.......) and place the large LCD over the corner (Again removing the shelves) and having a try like system on the desk to put the Xbox and freeview on.

On with the drawing and looking for more suggestions.

BTW, I haven't moved Kylie from May yet. Best one of the lot.

29. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    August to December aren't bad but November is a travesty.

30. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Oh no.......Looks like I'm gonna have to buy a new monitor anyway.

Over the weekend, the screen starts off reacting like I have a mobile phone turned on next to it and the the frame collapses on the left and right by 1cm, on/off.

I'm pretty sure it's a monitor problem, but if anyone else has had the same fault and it's not the monitor, let me know ASAP before I buy a new one.