1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I go all the way now?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gammmmo, Oct 20, 2004.

1. gammmmo

gammmmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    OK, I have up to around 5 grand to spend on new AV stuff (DVD player+Plasma). After reading this forum for ages I have 2 options:

1. Get a Pio435XDE from LeConcepts.com for £3550 - with stand, mediabox/freeview tuner, 2 year guarantee, desk stand and safe in the knowledge I am relatively future-proofed. Partner that with the Pio868 via HDMI (have been put off the Denon2910 as I use alot of backup DVD+Rs and apparently the Denon can be fussy with these).

2. Get a black Panny6 from av-sales.com and hook it up to a mid range DVD player via component and pocket the £1700 or so difference and put it towards a hidef panel in about 2 years to take advantage of Sky HDTV/bluray when that all settles down a bit.

My problem is that I have yet to see a well setup Panny - either via DVD or via RGB>VGA converter for TV. I know this is a bit cheeky - would anyone in the Bristol/Cheltenham/Swindon area let me have a quick look at their setup??

Have seen the Pio spinning DVDs and seems fine although I have never seen a Pio look any good with Freeview/Sky. The only plasmas I've seen good with the latter have been Fujitsu's - my brother in law has just bought one and I'd never hear the last of it if whatever I bought was inferior!!

Need to make a decision soon...cheers in anticipation guys.

2. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Or a PW7, with midrange DVD (up to about £500)... you still pocket a huge amount of cash for future use, and you are relatively futureproof - ie. you have available the connections and format compatability.

You can see how the market is moving with LCD displays, new phosphors that improve contrast / brightness and reduce burn-in on plasmas, etc. You have to figure that in a couple of years time, we will have true HD screens at quite reasonable prices, and with many others benefits too. There isn't much benefit to having a true HD screen while there is a complete lack of content, so just pocket the money for later and you don't have to worry so much about if the screen you buy gets 'trashed' in a few years.

3. gammmmo

gammmmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm somewhat put off by the Panny7 - it just seems as though the extra benefit on an SD panel with DVI/HDMI is going to be marginal and the extra expense eats into the fund for a future purchase.

Although I have had money ear-marked for this purchase for ages I still do have a problem spending 5 grand in one go - the idea of spending 2 grand on a Panny seems more acceptable. I've only been REALLY blown away by HDTV feeds (latest I saw was in Harrods on the weekend to a Sony 50 inch plasma(?) with imported blu-ray player).

Like I say I've never seen a Panny setup in the way recommended by so many people on this forum - this would help my decision...

4. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I quite agree - the situation regarding the 7 series is puzzling and annoying... but there isn't that much difference in price, and the ability to add the HDMI board may be worth it in futureproofing terms.

Do not be put off by the idea of DVI/HDMI and HD signals on an SD panel - the quality is still stunning. Providing HD broadcasts pan out well, the improvements over SD broadcasts will be very worthwhile - even when it is downscaled. Having DVI/HDMI/HD compatability is a good thing - it gives you the flexibility in the future, it's just not worth the premium attached to true HD panels. (Assuming that of the Panasonic, etc. variety. You can get true HD without so much of a premium, but I have no idea what their performance is like).

If you go down Tottenham Court Road, Ask Electronics and PNR Audiovision have the LG 42PX11 setup with HDTV feeds, so you can get an idea of what HD can / does look like on an SD panel. (And bear in mind, that the panel in question comes fully loaded with connections, supplied with the desktop stand, and can be had for £1500).

5. gammmmo

gammmmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I went into AsK and a few other places in TC Road on the weekend. To be fair, Ask seemed to be about the best but overall it was hard work getting to see much worthwhile. I wanted to see what a DVD scaled up to 720p (via the Pio868) was like on the Pio which for me is in theory a big plus point and they were unable to sort that out anywhere. Did not see any decent Panny demos - selfridges seemed helpful-ish but were not very clued-up IMO.

So, until I see some decent demos - its a bit of gamble!!

Pio owners,
    1. Is there much difference with DVD playback in 720p ?
    2. Can you get a reasonable image with TV broadcasts ? XDE owners - what is the built-in freeview like?
    3. I assume when Sky HDTV comes along it will daisy-chain to an HDMI dvd player and then directly to the plasma?

Panny owners,
    1. Has anyone seen a Panny SD panel fed with hi-def? How did it look?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Gammmo notice you are in Brsitol... Go to MOSS of Bath...
    Also a 50" Fujitsu for £3.5 with DVD AMP speakers etc is a very very very nice option.........................

7. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    1. Don't know. I'm trying to get XBMC on my modded XBOX to do this, but have failed so far.
    2. Analogue TV and Telewest Digital fine. I have a 434 so no inbuilt freeview.
    3. Betcha Sky assume the DVD Player will do the Daisychaining! Who says it'll have an HDMI connector anyway?

I think the Pioneer styling is far superior to the Pana, and the Media Receiver idea saves all the faffing about with connector boards. The Pio has its own speakers which created a really wide Stereo sound. Saves having to put the AV-amp on all of the time.

It's a difficult decision, possibly one that I have to make soon too. My vendor are looking at getting a 435XDE to replace my faulty 434HDE. If they can't then a refund is one of the possibilities. The Pana PW6 prices are most certainly very tempting!

8. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    gammmo,

Don't forget the HD series of panasonic plasmas. I am reliably informed that not only are these panels HD, but they also have improved processing that reduces colour banding. They are certainly an alternative to the pioneer 435.

9. gammmmo

gammmmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the replies.

hornydragon - I have a few days off work now so I will try to get over to Moss in Bath. Fujitsu? That complicates things even more - I saw a 50 inch one in my local Sevenoaks partnered with a scaler and Netgem freeview via component and the quality was as good as a CRT. My bro-in-law has one which he got from unbeatable for about £2300 (the HHA30) and swears by it for DVDs and particularly for football through his Sky+ box. I had discounted them because they were ALIS panels and I've always thought progressive was the way to go.

grahamtriggs - cheaper/better panels in the next few years? I hope so, preferably in 1280x720, although for the last 18 months or so we're still dealing with the Pio 4th gen and Panny 5/6th gen and the latest panels that superceede these seem only very marginally better. Lets hope mainstream HDTV is the catalyst - can't see that taking off straight away tho' - most people aren't as clued up as people on here and its gonna cost big time. A point in favour of the Panny6. I was very interested to hear about the LG SD panel with hidef feed...

PDP-434HDE - analogue TV and Telewest digital fine? That's really good to know. Did it take a while to discover particular settings? My only worry with the media box is its all extra processing whereas with people on this board saying connect SCART RGB devices to the Panny via a converter and then on to VGA, it just seems like this ought to produce better results. I find it very interesting that after owning what is technically a superior product that you see no great loss in going for a SD Panny.

ihan - I must admit I did start thinking about HD Panny7s when I read another post here. However, if the HDMI/DVI boards don't do 720p from PAL sources then for me you lose one of the main benefits of a HD panel. I think someone pointed out that this would be even more serious if Sky HDTV went down that route too. Take yer point tho' - cheaper option and nicer blacks!

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Fujitsu Alis panels are superb via S-video and interlaced component as they have very very very good electronics much better than el Cheapo Hitachi.............. Great for DVD and Sky..... but often frowned upon! I just think they look very very cinematic
    PS 50" isnt ALIS.......................... but still has the very very good processing

11. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Yes a lot of tinkering has been done to arrive at the optimal settings for Analogue and Digital TV.

Don't really follow your logic for point 2 about the overcomplexity of the Media Receiver.

I'm getting ****** of with Pioneer. I've had THREE 434s now and have not got a unit that does not buzz. I can't get another replacement 434 as they have been superceeded by the 435. The vendor I have only sells the 435-FDE, which in comparison to the 434 has a lot of cost cutting done. They are trying to get me a 435-XDE Special Order, I should find out on that soon.

As I read this forum, I see PW6 for half the price that I paid for 434. This is not to be sniffed at! I could bank the diffrence and buy a 43" HD screen in a few years for that difference. Food for thought.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The price of PW6 is very tempting just now, so much so you have to wonder if anything else is worth considering till the deals dry up. Maybe the new pricing of panasonic HD panels might be tempting too, or a 43MXE1? They've had price cuts too, both HD panels and very very good. Personally I've never seen a HDE on scart I've been entirely happy with, certainly never as good as an MXE and just a RGB to VGA converter. With a possible 5k budget, you've got some interesting choices to make.