Question Do I get a DAP?

al2813

Established Member
Reaction score
Again posting here to get opinions as I cannot make up my mind :thumbsdow
I am probably not an audiophile in the strict sense of the word, but music is my life and in recent years I learnt to appreciate the quality of sound I am listening to. Did not pour thousands into cabling, speakers and amps, but spent quite a bit in what I consider now two decent setups in my house.

In parallel, I started working on my mobile music which in fact gets, even more, listening time as I travel quite a bit. I got the Sony 1000xm3 in Jan, started listening less and less to lossy music (Took some time but ended choosing Qobuz over Tidal). There was one thing I did not take into account - the source.

I listen to music in my iPhone XS Max. I mostly listen wireless - I know that wired probably gets you better results, but as I said - I am on the move a lot. In fact, I am even now searching for a truly wireless solution to complement the Sony (due to various reasons but this is for a separate post).

I read a lot of pro-Apple people speaking the praise of AAC, but yesterday I took my Galaxy S8 (a phone given to me by my employer which I use only for mail as they refuse BYOD...). Download Qobuz, connect my Sony and enable LDAC. I was shocked by the difference in quality and now am at a dilemma. I clearly need a different source. Buying a DAP means yet another device in my bag. I am considering seriously switching to an Android phone (which one?), or is there a DAP which is not too expensive and will allow me a much better portable music experience?

If you are sticking to the Bluetooth Sony then an ldac android phone is probably the way to go, your ears having reviewed the difference hd Bluetooth codecs make

Bluetooth is in the digital realm. Spending money on the dac and amplifier stage is redundant... only do it if you plan to also use a quality wired headphone

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom