1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I even need Pinnacle?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Origin, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll soon be getting a new PC, and was originally planning to buy a version of Pinnacle to go with it. But I recently read through the explantion of Microsoft's MovieMaker2 on their website. It appears to do everthing that's necessary to edit a video, include capturing from a DV cam (with scene detection), effects, transitions, audio dubing and titling. In fact, everything I understood that Pinnacle does. And what's more, it's a free download! The new PC will have Firewire ports as standard, so I don't need the Pinnacle hardware for capturing.

So my question is this, do I even need to buy Pinnacle now? Is there anything crucial that Pinnacle does that MovieMaker2 can't do?

2. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    all the different software types do different things based on the users that require them. movie maker is fine for capping movies, i used to use it when i couldn't get vegas' in built software to work properly. if you find after a few edits in movie maker that it does everything you need it to, then theres no point getting other software. in time as your skill/needs develop, you'll probably want to upgrade software. personally, im not a fan of pinnacle/ulead software, but then again im trying to develop more complex non-wizard style videos, rather than just backup home movies for example.

if you goto pinnacles website, im sure there'll be a demo to download, as with pretty much every piece of video software. its pretty good like that, as they don't expect you to pay a lot of money without checking out the software first.

3. ThePuttKing

ThePuttKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Windows Movie Maker 2 and Unlead. There is no contest which is the best. Movie Maker is easy to use, as no bugs and does everything need.

4. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Considering it is free, MM2 is actually very good (MM1 was poor though).

Seeing that your PC already has the firewire ports, why not just see how you get on with MM2 to start with and the purchase something else if and when you out grow it?

5. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll definitely give MM2 a try before going for Pinnacle. Everything I've read about producing a video says that simple is best (like the best TV shows) - and as I don't intend on doing any flashy pop videos, I imagine MM2 will probably be all I need.

Thanks for your help. You've (possibly) just saved me £100+ on the price of a new PC!