Do I drink too much?

Foebane72

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Last week, I think I hit my record: an average of 4.5 LITRES of strong dry cider per day, and yet I hardly get soused out of my head anymore. Friends and family have expressed a strong concern for me as a result, so I'm just wondering if I'm that close to burning out my liver that much faster. :rolleyes:

I expect so, that is a huge amount and you really need to cut it way down........unless you are planning to not be around for long.

I would recommend not booking any tickets for the next Olympics, unless you have anyone to leave them to.

And I'm not taking the ****.

Seriously, cut down...

Dave

Can you just stop altogether if you want to?

Last week, I think I hit my record: an average of 4.5 LITRES of strong dry cider per day, and yet I hardly get soused out of my head anymore. Friends and family have expressed a strong concern for me as a result, so I'm just wondering if I'm that close to burning out my liver that much faster. :rolleyes:

Do you really really need someone to answer this for you :eek:

Although the guidelines that they suggest are on the low side IMHO and i drink a fair bit above this at the weekends, i think that 4.5L a day is taking the **** a bit :D

Leaving aside the effects of that much alcohol, 4.5 litres of cider contains around 1600 calories - 2/3 of the total daily requirement.

Keep that up for too long, and you won't be able to get out of bed to waddle down the offy.

Over 50 pints a week! I'd recommend you do.

Ask your doctor for a liver function test, I predict that the result will scare the crap out of you :) It might not stop you drinking, but at least you will know for a fact that you are killing yourself and can make an informed decision on what you should do :smashin:

Dave

Last edited:
If you do that daily, it's over 210 units a week :eek:

Seriously mate, you could be on the transplant list within a year, or worse.

Well, as I said, it was a record: my daily average is just two litres of the Tesco Value Cider stuff, which is 4.2%V. But I think I will ask for a liver function test, as even though I don't feel any different than in the past, I'm sure it's taking its toll.

My beer belly is a right giveaway, though. :(

Well, as I said, it was a record: my daily average is just two litres of the Tesco Value Cider stuff, which is 4.2%V. But I think I will ask for a liver function test, as even though I don't feel any different than in the past, I'm sure it's taking its toll.

My beer belly is a right giveaway, though. :(

Even tho you may not feel different yourself, your liver will be saying otherwise.

Can't understand why people have to drink in huge quantities, just not the damage health wise but the cost!

More and more youngsters are going to face real health problems as they get older with the binge drinking culture we have in this country.

2 litres of that stuff a day is still 8.4 units and 4.5 litres is 18.9 units. Current medical recommendations are men drink no more than 21 units per week, @2litres per day your doing 3 times that and @4.5 your doing over 6 times that. If your in your early 20s you can probably recover from it, probably need to give it up for the occassional drink though.

More and more youngsters are going to face real health problems as they get older with the binge drinking culture we have in this country.

I forgot to mention that I'm 36 years old, and only started drinking heavily from about 2003 onwards.

Seriously? You drink 2ltr of value cider EACH day? Do you sit in the park all day smelling of wee and fags? Drinking that much is bad enough but drinking a lot of cheap junk is a really bad sign, especially if friends and family are telling you it's becoming a problem but you're still unsure if it is or not!

Stop drinking... NOW. Go to the doctor as soon as possible, especially if you can't stop drinking as you have a BIG problem. Don't mull it over with a drink, don't give it some time for consideration, do it now.

I forgot to mention that I'm 36 years old, and only started drinking heavily from about 2003 onwards.

See your GP and get a referral for some help mate.

Best of luck.

I think you know that this is far too much - and admitting it is the first step in cutting down.

I'm not sure cutting it out all together straight away is the answer - but I think it's clear you have some kind of problem with alcohol and you should be looking at changing your relationship with it.

The first thing to do is avoid drinking during the day - try limiting yourself to only drinking after 8pm. Also, only drink if you're in a social situation - drinking on your own is never a good thing.

I'm from somerset originally - so I've seen the effect that long term cider drinking can have. It'll drive you mad in the end - but not before it takes your teeth.

What happens is the brain gets used to the amount and you need more to get a bigger hit,thats why alkys can put so much away and still function,I know my mother was 1.Bottle whiskey + aday.

As stated before, you know the answer yourself, but, I think at the moment you don't think it's a probelm.

Have been here myself (much worse actually) I think you will become much worse before you realistically do something about.

If you still get hangovers then maybe thinks are'nt to bad, but if not, then the simply fact is that you are in trouble.

There are many many people who drink far far to much (almost Oliver Reed style) who function very very well because, they know if they lose their job, house, wife etc, etc then it really is all over. So things are never to bad

Read the books by Tony Adams (addicted) and George Best (blessed) if after the first few chapters you recongnise yourself then go see a doctor, they will probably recommend a self help group (not AA). I was'nt much of a fan of these sessions but, the other people who where present helped me. Not because they were helpful, but because their lives showed me a picture of what was to come (bit like scrooge)

Only tip I can offer is, (assuming you do not wish to continue drinking so much) never never every say to yourself I have stopped drinking (its to big a mountain) just say I'm not going to drink until 30 mins before bed, or 30 mins before last orders. Then have a drink.

Mark

Cut it altogether for 2 weeks. Then on the first day after the 2 weeks is up drink that much again.

I guarantee you won't be able to do it without feeling horrendous.

Amazing thing the liver - one of the few organs that can regenerate itself to a degree.

Cut down mate. I thought I did a fair bit on a Monday night (my drink night usually if I'm not working - which I am tomorrow damn it) by doing 25cl of Jager or vodka but that's nothing compared to what you are drinking each week.....

Either that or put some cash aside so your family don't have to pay for your burial. I wouldn't recommend cremation - they'll never put you out.

I think anyone who consumes a drug (other than for medical reasons) on a regular basis, is an addict - whether their chosen fix is alcohol, tobacco, coke, heroin, food, or anything else. When it becomes routine, it is an addiction, plain and simple, irrespective of whether the addict believes that they can stop or not. Once you accept that, you can consider taking steps to give up. It isn't a question of the amount consumed.

Good luck.

Do you really really need someone to answer this for you :eek:

Although the guidelines that they suggest are on the low side IMHO and i drink a fair bit above this at the weekends, i think that 4.5L a day is taking the **** a bit :D

Correca!!!

Still Foebane go to your GP mate.

that much cider wont be good, even if you put aside the alcoholic implications, that much acidic liquid in your guts is likely to introduce ulcers and cancers at some point, and believe, cancers in the bowel are one of the worst to get.

consider using sparkly water to water it down.....if your drinking to get drunk then see a psychiatrist, if your drinking it simply because you like it then water it down or swap it for Appletiser

I was drinking a lot of wine for a while, partly thru depression and partly because im in chronic pain on a daily basis and the painkillers dont do jack, but I decided I was at an age where it might be a bit silly to think I can go like a 16 year old and cut back. now I stick to a beer or two a few days in the week, a bottle of wine at the weekend (I do actually like the wine as well, i only buy nice bottles) and a few smokes of green to ease the pain every now and again. This way i'm not smashing my body to pieces but still manage to cope with the physical and emotional pain in a more suitable way (picky people please note the word 'more' there ok).

How can someone drink 2-4 litres of cider a day, and have to ask if they're drinking too much??

That is way too much mate, but then you already knew that didn't you? I have a bottle of wine every night while cooking the evening meal, and get through a bottle of gin a week and I absolutely KNOW that's too much. Doesn't stop me though.:rolleyes:

What a lot of criticism.
Foebane, I applaud you, for doing your bit to alleviate the impending pension crisis by doing your best to not reach a pensionable age. (Have you considered taking up smoking too? I used to and for the first decade and a half really enjoyed it. It also has the added benefit of giving lots and lots of tax to the Chancellor, who rather needs it at the moment.)
Of course this is tongue in cheek, not something I would recommend you try at the moment as the constant stream of cider may slosh against the tongue in cheek and go down the wrong way and that could be embarrassing.

and where's Nimby when you need him, he surely would have had something to say?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom