Do I Buy A DS?

barrybarryr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been looking on ebay and since the PSP has come out some DS's seem to be going for less than £60 with games.

I just wondered is it any good, what decent games are out for it and is it worth me buying it?

I'm seriously thinking about it but need somebody to convince me that its worth it and that I wont be dissappointed.

Cheers

Barry

The first thing I would ask is what do you want from your games? If you like quick, easy to get into games, the DS is perfect. The touch screen is a great gimmick but for me, at the moment it's just that really(with exception of a handful of games).

IMO most of the DS games at the moment are more novelty than anything and they wear pretty thin, pretty fast.

I'm still hanging on for MarioKart, the idea of Wi-Fi online play is just too much to resist, if it wasn't for that I would probably have sold my DS by now as I've been dissapointed with the games so far.

Meteos and ZooKeeper are the only games I would recommend for long term play. Their are loads of fun games such as Nintendogs, Warioware, Yoshis Touch & Go, but if you're like me you'll get bored of those after a short while.

To sum up, I'd recommend for a cheap purchase, but if you're chossing between the DS & the PSP, personally I'd say it's well worth the extra money for the PSP right now, and to begin with I didn't really favour one over the other.

Hope that helps your decision a bit at least :hiya:

Ive have owned both and disagree with the above statement in certian respects. Firstly, the DS is a great piece of kit, the touch screen will be superb in games such as Metroid Hunter when its released and for the moment Mario Kart (soon), Meteos, Mario64DS, ZooKeeper and CastleVania should keep you more than amused.
There is also a great future line up of games.
The PSP is expensive, firstly, but is a great handheld but it is all too much of a PS2 experience for my liking but plenty of people here love it. For the price grab a DS, its hardly ever going to break the bank. Or buy both!

barrybarryr said:
Hi,

I've been looking on ebay and since the PSP has come out some DS's seem to be going for less than £60 with games.

I just wondered is it any good, what decent games are out for it and is it worth me buying it?

I'm seriously thinking about it but need somebody to convince me that its worth it and that I wont be dissappointed.

Cheers

Barry

It all depends what you are after I guess. If you still yearn for the games of yesteryear then the DS offers this type of fair. You will find plenty of puzzle games, mini game collections and 2D platformers on the system but nothing with the technical complexity of the PSP games. Also it's pretty much just a games machine so if you want something for multimedia or that can play emulators etc. then you'd be much better off with a PSP.

I'd say that if you want a cheap and chearful handheld then it may be worth a pop and you can use the old DS games on it too. Personally it's a bit too aimed at kids for me as the majority of the games on the system involve cartoony characters to some extent. Still if you can get underneath the kiddie exterior there are some great fun games to be played. Personally now that my PSP is brimming with emulators - SNES, MAME, MD, Amiga as well as games like Doom and Quake it's no contest for me. It's not clear by your post whether you already own a PSP but if you don't (and can afford one) then i'd definately recommend that above the DS. There's also a new 4 GB hard drive and double power battery combo pack available now but it's not cheap and the cheapest i've seen it is around £129.

No I dont have a PSP.

Although I like them and will eventually get one I think £179 is way too much money for a hand held console.

Although I'm going to find it hard to resist when Pro Evo 5 comes out.

What games are a must have for the DS. I played the Metroid Demo on the day it came out but havent looked at the console at all since then.

Decide what games you want, then decide on the console ;)

erm...PSP owner here :D

I would have got a DS, but bar Advance Wars, Metroid + Mario Kart (delayed btw), no other DS title interested me

Well I've had a PSP for a few weeks now and whilst its great, I'm still feeling a bit underwhelmed by the games.

I'm actually thinking about getting a DS, the gameplay of Nintendogs, Castlevania etc. is far more appealing to me right now than anything PSP has to offer (bar Lumines).

Tejstar said:
Well I've had a PSP for a few weeks now and whilst its great, I'm still feeling a bit underwhelmed by the games.

I'm actually thinking about getting a DS, the gameplay of Nintendogs, Castlevania etc. is far more appealing to me right now than anything PSP has to offer (bar Lumines).

Have you downloaded any emulators yet?? If not then stick a SNES and MD emulator on it and believe me you won't need a DS after that! :thumbsup:

CAS FAN said:
Have you downloaded any emulators yet?? If not then stick a SNES and MD emulator on it and believe me you won't need a DS after that! :thumbsup:

It's on my to do list (once I finally get around to modding my xbox!) The emulators do seem very appealing and afaik is not too difficult to do! :) Unlike the xbox mod... :mad:

Tejstar said:
It's on my to do list (once I finally get around to modding my xbox!) The emulators do seem very appealing and afaik is not too difficult to do! :) Unlike the xbox mod... :mad:

Yep it's easy! Just download the emu, stick it on your PSP as per the instructions (use KXploit if you're V1.5) and then just stick a load of roms in the same folder and bingo!

CAS FAN said:
Yep it's easy! Just download the emu, stick it on your PSP as per the instructions (use KXploit if you're V1.5) and then just stick a load of roms in the same folder and bingo!

Sounds good, now why couldn't they make modding the xbox that easy! :cool:

Yeah its much easier to run emu's on the PSP compared to running them on the DS although Monkey Island is much better running on the DS

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom